- The rooting exploit in this guide is based on Android 4.0.4 and IMM76D.SC06DOMALI3 firmware. You should upgrade or downgrade to that same build number to use this guide. You can check your current firmware build number by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number.
- Head to the Sam Mobile website, tap on the firmware button and type in your SC-06D model number to find that firmware. Flash the firmware using the Odin flash tool if you need to install it on your device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have a computer running Windows to follow this guide. The Odin app in this guide runs on Windows only.
- You may need to unlock your Developer Options menu by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers to your Windows PC so the Galaxy S3 DoCoMo can establish a connection with the Odin app and the computer.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 SC-06D RUNNING ON ANDROID 4.0.4
- Download the CF-Root tool for your SC-06D from this link to your computer.
- Download the Odin 3.09 flash tool file from this link.
- Extract both the files to the desktop of the computer by shifting them to the desktop and then right-clicking on the files and choosing the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Double-click your Odin 3.09 file and the executable file will open the Odin app on your computer. Leave the Odin user-interface open ad we are coming back to it soon.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S3 in download mode. (Related: How to fix the Samsung Galaxy S3 stuck in download mode.)
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait for the Odin program to detect your device and give you the “added” message. You need to fix your driver problem if that is not happening for your device.
- Leave the default settings from the Odin user-interface as they were when you first opened it up on the desktop. Download a fresh copy if you cannot remember.
- Click the PDA or the AP button found from your Odin buttons and browse the desktop for the rooting tar file you get after extracting the original CF-Root zip for your DoCoMo S3 smartphone.
- Click the Start button when you want to root the device.
- Wait until you see the pass message from the Odin box before you press any buttons and close down the Odin app.
- Wait for the Samsung Galaxy S3 DoCoMo to reboot before you unplug it from the computer.
- Head over to the Google Play Store and download the root checker app to check if your device is now officially unchained.
Now you can find out how to install CWM Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Having a custom recovery means you can install custom ROMs, take complete backups without having to use adb commands from a computer, and still effectively recover your Samsung Galaxy S3 device if you need to take a factory reset. In fact, there is nothing you cannot do from your custom recovery that you could do from your S3’s stock recovery. The only difference is you have some additional handy features to play with in your new recovery.