These are the steps to root Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini smartphones running on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop by using Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root tool, a Windows computer and the Odin flash tool that is made by Samsung developers.
- You should use this guide if you have the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini with the model number SM-G800R4 only and not if you have any of the other model numbers. You can check the model number if your Galaxy S5 Mini just to make sure by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- The CF-Auto-Root package in this guide is based on Android 5.1.1 and LMY47X.G800R4VXU1BOI1 firmware. That does not mean you need to be running that same firmware. It gives you an indicator only, so you know not to running firmware that is too much older. Some of the older Samsung devices can sometimes refuse to boot older images.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for your computers running Windows operating systems. You need to install those before you start the guide so your devices and programs on those devices can communicate successfully.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 MINI SM-G800R4 RUNNING ANDROID 5.1.1
- Download the updated CF-Auto-Root package for the S5 Mini from this link.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from this link.
- Extract the files on the desktop of your computer by right-clicking the mouse and choosing the “extract here” from the menu.
- Double-click the Odin executable and have the Odin flashing tool open on your desktop.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini device by long-pressing the Power button and reboot in download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini device to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the PDA/AP button found from the Odin user-interface on the computer.
- Upload your S5 Mini’s tar.md5 file from the desktop that you extracted earlier. Only extract the file once, so don’t do it again if you did it already.
- Do not make any adjustments to the buttons on the Odin user-interface.
- Click the Start button and wait until the flashing has finished.
- You will get a pass message from the Odin app on the computer and the smartphone display should tell you thte device is about to reboot at the bottom of some text.
Let the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini reboot automatically and it should reach recovery mode. You must boot it in recovery mode on the odd occasion that does not happen automatically. You can get it in recovery mode by holding the Power + Home + Volume Up buttons at the same time when it’s booting but never when it’s already powered up.