These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime SM-G530M running Android 4.4.4 KitKat by using the Odin flashing tool and a Windows computer. The SM-G530M model number is one of the most popular versions of the Sammy Grand Prime, and you can check what model yours is by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
You should wait a few days for Chainfire to update the file in this post if you are coming here after a new software update. Some of the minor software updates still based on Android 4.4.4 can bring in new bootloaders. Chainfire has to then update the recovery.img file to unlock the bootloader again. Common symptoms of this problem include a Galaxy Grand Prime that will not boot after flashing the file. That’s usually fixed by entering download mode and flashing a firmware file with Odin, or entering recovery mode and applying a hard reset.
- You must have the SM-G530M model number to be following this guide or else you will brick down your smartphone with a soft-brick. You can find out your model number of the Grand Prime by using the same steps listed above in the introduction.
- The rooting exploit found in this guide is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat with the firmware KTU84P.G530MUBU1ANI4 build number. You do not have to flash that same firmware on your device; however, you do need to be running Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
- You must have a Windows computer to follow this guide. The Odin flashing tool won’t flash your rooting exploit for the Grand prime on any other operating system, including Mac or Linux computers.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You should backup your data before starting the guide to root the Samsung Galaxy Grand prime smartphone. Those who have never rooted the Grand prime using the CF-Auto-Root tool will be getting the device wiped during the guide when it unlocks your bootloader. You must backup before that happens if you are to restore that data later.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones from our USB Drivers page and install them on the Windows computer before you start the guide.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND PRIME SM-G530M RUNNING ON ANDROID 4.4.4 KITKAT
- Download the CF-Auto-Root tool for the SM-G530M device from this link.
- Download the Odin 3.09 downloader from this link.
- Download the files to the desktop and extract them both by right-clicking on the files and selecting “extract here” from the menu.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime and reboot in download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the PDA button and upload your tar.md5 file you can see on the desktop.
- Do not change the default settings for the Odin app on the computer; leave it the same way you found it after first opened the app.
- Click the Start button and Odin will flash the CF-Auto-Root 4.4.4 file on your Galaxy Grand Prime smartphone.
- Keep watching the Odin user-interface and your smartphone display. Odin should tell you it has passed and your device will tell you it is rebooting in 10 seconds.
The last part is important. Wait for the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime to reboot in recovery mode and then reboot back in normal mode. It enters the recovery mode automatically and its important that it does otherwise the root does not work. You can reboot to recovery mode manually if you need it by pressing the Power + Home + Volume Down buttons together after booting. You must start with the device off first.