- Use this guide on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device that has the SCH-1545 model number. Those of you with a different model number will brick the device if you flash the TWRP file in this guide. You can always check the model number of your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for your Samsung Galaxy S4 and install them on the computer before you start the guide.
- Unlock the Developer Options menu on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone if it’s currently hidden by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Turn on the USB Debugging Mode so you can connect your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Leave the Developer Options menu on your verizon S4 and it will remember your preferences.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 from this link.
- Download the Odin 3.09 from this link.
- Extract the TWRP and Odin files on the desktop of the computer by right-clicking and choosing “extract here” when they are on the desktop.
- Double-click and run the executable Odin file you can see from the desktop and the Odin flashing tool will open.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy S4 by verizon and reboot the device in download mode.
- Connect the Verizon Galaxy S4 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the PDA/AP button that is available from the Odin user-interface and your computer.
- Upload the TWRP file that you extracted earlier.
- Do not make any changes to the default settings you get from the Odin user-interface.
- Click the Start button and the Odin app will flash that custom recovery on your device and replace the stock recovery with TWRP.
- Wait until your Samsung Galaxy S4 device reboots before closing down the Odin app and unplugging from the computer.
You can always boot your Samsung Galaxy S4 by Verizon in the new recovery that you just flashed by holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons.