These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 running on the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich software update.
- You must have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 that has the GT-P5113 model number to use this guide. Any other model numbered device not ending in 5113 will probably get bricked by this guide. You can learn more about your Galaxy Tab’s model number by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- Chainfire’s page states that the CF-Auto-Root tool found in this guide is based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and the IMM76D.P5113UEBLH3 firmware build number. That doesn’t mean you need to be running that same firmware build number, but you should use it as an indicator. You will find that some Samsung devices won’t boot older image files.
- You must have a Windows PC to use this guide otherwise the flashing tool will not work. You can use any PC running Windows XP and up.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet and install them before you go any further with the guide. You need the drivers running before you try using the Odin flashing tool or else your device and the programs on the computer might not be able to talk with each other.
- Unlock the hidden Developer Options on the Tab 2 device by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode from the Tab 2’s Developer Options menu by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 2 10.1 GT-P5113 RUNNING ANDROID 4.0.4
- Download the updated CF-Auto-Root package for the Tab 2 10.1 from this link.
- Download the Odin flashing tool for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 from this link.
- Extract the files on the desktop of the computer: shift them to the desktop > right-click > extract here.
- Double-click the Odin executable file and run the flashing tool on your Windows PC.
- Press the Power Off button from the Device Options menu and turn off the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 completely.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 in download mode by pressing the hardware key combination.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the AP or the PDA button that you can see available from the Odin flashing tool’s user-interface.
- Browse the desktop location of your Windows computer and upload the CF-Auto-Root-espresso10wifi-espresso10wifibby-gtp5113.tar.md5 file.
- Do not change the default settings from the Odin user-interface.
- Click the Start button when you are ready for the flashing process to begin and the flash tool will install and enable SuperSU on your device via the CF-Auto-Root package.
- Look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2’s display and wait until it says it is going to reboot in 10 seconds.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 device will now reboot to recovery mode and you will have the SuperSU fully installed on your Samsung tablet. Any Galaxy Tab 2 owners that do not see that happen will need to enter the recovery mode manually by pressing the Power + Home + Volume Up buttons during the booting phase. You will not get the device in recovery mode if you are pressing those buttons and it’s already turned on.