- You must have the 2016 edition of the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone with the model number SM-A510. You can check what your A5’s model number is by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- The same TWRP image is available for a select few devices. Do not use this same file on your device unless you know it works or else you risk bricking the device.
- You must have a Windows PC to use this guide. You should find most versions of Windows operating systems will work. A few exceptions to that rule would be anything before Windows XP and some of the operating systems like Windows RT that come with the Microsoft Surface tablets. You won’t find the Odin flashing tool available from the Microsoft App Store.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- The TWRP Recovery image you are finding in this guide for the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone is a test build. Anyone experiencing problems can download the stock ROM for the SM-A510 from Sam Mobile and flash it with the same Odin flashing tool.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone and install them on the computer you are using for the guide. Remember that your computer must be running Windows or else you cannot use the Odin flashing tool in this guide.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY A5
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the A5 SM-A510 from this link.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from this link.
- Extract the files to the desktop of your computer.
- Double-click on the Odin flashing tool so it opens on the desktop.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone in download mode and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait for a few seconds for the drivers to start working and then check the same by observing the “added” message in the Odin message box. Any device that is not “added” will need to get the drivers working before going any further.
- Click the AP button and browse the desktop for the TWRP file.
- Take off the Auto Reboot option by unchecking that box so it’s empty. Do not adjust nay of the other default settings from the user-interface of the Odin flashing tool.
- Click the Start button and the Odin flashing tool will now flash the TWRP on your device; you know it’s done when you get the “pass” message.
Your Samsung Galaxy A5 will not reboot because we took off the Auto Reboot box. We did that because we need to boot directly in recovery mode or else the TWRP recovery will get wiped by the stock recovery. Turn off the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone and reboot it directly to recovery mode by pressing the Power + Home + Volume Down buttons and wait until the screen goes blank before pressing the Volume Up button along with the other three so you now have all four buttons pressed at the same time. You should see TWRP boot on your A5’s display.