- You must have a custom recovery installed on the Huawei Ascend Y520 before you can root the device using this guide.
- The SuperSU file in this guide can be used on many devices. However, you will need to follow a unique guide for installing a custom recovery; therefore, do not follow these guides unless you have the Huawei Ascend Y520 device in your hands.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Y6520 smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO ROOT HUAWEI ASCEND Y520 RUNNING ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT
- Download the SuperSU exploit you need from this link and have it waiting on the desktop of your computer.
- Connect the Huawei Ascend Y520 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the SuperSU over to the root of the internal SD card storage on your Y520 device.
- Long-press the Power button on your Ascend Y520 handset and wait until the device is off completely.
- Reboot the Huawei Ascend Y520 to recovery mode so it boots up in the custom recovery you installed earlier.
- Choose the ‘Install’ option from the menu.
- Choose to browse the SD card and then upload your SuperSU exploit.
- Follow the prompts to confirm you do want to install the SuperSU from your recovery.
- Choose the ‘Reboot System’ option from the main recovery menu.
The Huawei Ascend Y520 will now reboot in normal mode where you can use your device; check the apps for your new SuperSU app. That SuperSU is going to grant the rooting permissions to any apps that you want on your device that require root access to run, such as the popular Titanium Backup app. Of course, since you have a custom recovery installed already, you might be more interested in using the NANDroid Backup feature from recovery and installing the NANDroid Manager app for rooted users instead, so you can restore those partitions one at a time.