A stock recovery gets the job done for anyone using the stock ROM, but those who want to customize the Sony Xperia Z5c device will want to install a custom recovery. A stock recovery goes hand in hand with a stock ROM, just like the custom recovery pairs perfectly with your device that is away from the stock ROM. There are a few ways one might have a device away from the stock ROM. Most obviously is anyone using a custom ROM, but those using a device with root access have an unlocked operating system and that too is considered away from the stock ROM to a degree.
- You must unlock the bootloader on your Sony Xperia Z5c before you can install a custom recovery and ultimately root the device. You can visit the official Sony website, input your IMEI number and receive an unlock code. You will need to set up adb on your computer and enter that code via your command prompt with fastboot. Note that unlocking the bootloader will wipe your personal data stored on the device, so make sure you create a backup before getting started.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Sony Xperia Z5c smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- The Developer Options menu is locked after Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You may need to unlock yours before you can enter the Developer Options menu and enable the USB Debugging. You do that by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number 7 times.
HOW TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY ON SONY XPERIA Z5c
- Download your recovery.img from this thread and have it on the desktop.
- Setup up adb on your computer running Windows and then shift the recovery.img file over to the same folder that your adb sits.
- From within your adb and recovery folder, hold the Shift key and right-click where it shows the white background of the folder and a new menu should appear.
- Choose to open a new command prompt window from the menu.
- Connect the Sony Xperia Z5c to the computer with the USB cable.
- Type the first command from the command prompt window you opened: “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Type the second command to flash your recovery: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”.
- Find out the button combination for recovery mode on your device and hold that combination as soon as your device reboots after this command: “fastboot reboot”.
You should find the Sony Xperia Z5c smartphone will now have the new custom recovery flashed, and it will reboot directly to that recovery so the stock recovery does not have a chance to wipe over your work. Once you see the new recovery booting, feel free to reboot back to normal mode if you do not want to use it yet.
In conclusion, that’s how to install a custom recovery on the Sony Xperia Z5c smartphone. You might be interested in finding out how to root the Sony Xperia Z5c smartphone now to complete your customization on the device.