Asus is a household name in the computer industry but not so much the mobile industry. They do pretty well with the Zenfone series of devices, though, and you can enhance that yet again by rooting the device. Rooting should always be reserved for advanced Android users, and as long as you are one, you can get more out of your device in comparison to leaving it how it comes from the shop or out of the box.
One of the ways in which you can enhance your experience with the Asus Zenfone 2 device is by installing the Xposed Framework. The Xposed Framework is an app that gives you greater control over your operating system, allowing for full UI tweaks, changing the device your OS looks and is designed. It does many of the same things as you would expect from a custom ROM. In fact, many are preferring to just install Xposed instead of a custom ROM.
- You must flash the latest firmware version on your Zenfone 2 device from here.
- You must unlock the bootloader on your Asus Zenfone 2 before using this guide to root the device. You can learn how to unlock the bootloader from here.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Zenfone 2 Laser by navigating to the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- The Developer Options menu is hidden after Android 4.2.2 and you might need to unlock it if you cannot see the menu from your Settings. You can do that on your Zenfone 2 Laser by navigating to the Menu > Settings > About Phone > Tapping the Build Number 7 times until it says you are now using the device as a developer.
- You should not accept official over the air software updates on your Asus Zenfone 2 Laser device after you root it using the guide after the break. You should flash the stock ROM manually using the firmware file, a computer and the flashing tool that works for your device. Once you have flashed the stock ROM manually, your device will no longer be rooted and you can start accepting future over the air notifications again should you be so lucky and find any coming in to your notifications panel.
HOW TO ROOT ZENFONE 2 LASER ZE601KL RUNNING ON ANDROID 5.0 LOLLIPOP
- Download the rooting file you need from here.
- Set up adb on your computer and then copy the rooting file over to the same folder as your adb sits.
- Connect the Asus Zenfone 2 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- From within your adb and root folder, hold the Shift key and right-click where it is showing the white background and choose to open a new command window from the menu.
- Type the first command: “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Type the seconds command to root your device: “fastboot boot boot_200007.img”.
Wait for the Zenfone to automatically reboot after the rooting completes and your device will be rooted and ready to install apps or Xposed Framework. You can find the working Xposed Framework for your device from the XDA DSevelopers thread made on the topic.