We’ve already showed you how to unlock the bootloader on the Huawei Mate 7 device. The bootloader is the first bit of software to boot up when you turn the device on. The bootloader chooses whether it will boot the device into the recovery mode or the normal Android OS mode. It will automatically boot to the Android operating system unless you tell it to do otherwise. That’s why we need to press a hardware button combination to get the recovery to boot.
A custom recovery is usually the second thing to do when customizing your device and continues on from unlocking the bootloader. With a custom recovery installed, we can upload zip files through it — one of those zip files is usually the SuperSU. Not all rooting is done with the SuperSU from a custom recovery, though. There are plenty of one-click root applications available out there today like KingRoot, KingoRoot, Framaroot and so on. Chainfire — the same developer who makes SuperSU — also makes a rooting tool called the CF-Auto-Root or just CF-Root. The CF-Auto- Root tool also doesn’t rely on a custom recovery to run. The method that you will find in how-to guides largely depends on your device and what is available. The Huawei Mate 7 is a device that relies of installing SuperSU from a custom recovery. Let’s see how you can install a custom recovery on Huawei mate 7 devices so you can go ahead and root it later.
- You must unlock the bootloader of the Huawei Mate 7 smartphone before you can follow this guide and install a custom recovery on the device.
- The instructions in this post are intended for the Huawei mate 7 device only. The same commands may work for other devices, but you are to look up a unique guide for those devices.
- You must have a Windows computer to use this guide. The adb in our guide you are settings up is for Windows operating systems only.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode from the Developer Options menu on the mate 7 device by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Not seeing the Developer Options menu? That’s cool; you can unlock it by following this path: Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- You are voiding the warranty of the Huawei Mate 7 device by installing a custom recovery. You can restore the stock recovery along with your stock ROM and get the warranty working again.
HOW TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY ON HUAWEI MATE 7 DEVICES
- Download the custom recovery package from this link and have it on the desktop of your computer.
- Extract the file to the desktop of the computer by right-clicking the file > extract here from the menu.
- Run the recovery.bat file that pops out on the desktop.
- Choose the ‘Flash CWM Recovery’ option from the program.
The Huawei Mate 7 device now has ClockworkMod Recovery installed and is ready to be rooted. You can read how to root the Huawei Mate 7 smartphone so you can complete your customization experience.