OnePlus One owners can install the TeamWin Recovery Project — an open source custom recovery that’s now updated to version 3.0.0 — on the popular handset. TWRP is without question the most popular custom recovery in the world right now and should be installed unless your device has a stable version of CyanogenMod Recovery available.
A custom recovery like TWRP isn’t mandatory for any OnePlus owners but it does offer a variety of appealing features over the stock recovery your device ships with across the pond. Most notably, OnePlus owners can upload new ROM files and install the latest CyanogenMod custom ROMs. It’s also got the NANDroid Backup option, which when coupled with root access and the NANDroid Manager application, makes for the best way to backup a device and restore it one partition at a time.
- You must have the OnePlus One bootloader unlocked before you can follow this guide.
- You must learn how to set up adb on your computer so you can enter some adb commands from your computer.
- You must have a computer that is running a Windows operating system to use this guide.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Understand that adb itself is available for use with many devices; howveer, the file in this guide is uniquely made to work with the OnePlus One handset and no other. Attempting to flash a custom recovery on anything but the OnePlus One smartphone using the file in this guide will likely result in the bricking of that device.
- You will most likely need to enable the USB Debugging Mode before you start the guide; you can do that on your OnePlus by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Deeveloper Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO INSTALL THE LATEST TWRP RECOVERY VERSION 3.0.0 ON THE ONEPLUS ONE SMARTPHONE
- Download the TWRP Recovery for OnePlus One from here.
- Download your adb and fastboot to the computer and keep the folder open where you have the adb sitting.
- Extract the TWRP file and drag it over to the same foldere as your adb sits.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse within your folder where it shows the white background and it should result in your seeing a new menu if your Windows version permits.
- Choose to open a new command prompt window here from that same menu.
- You should see the command prompt open; type your first command:
adb reboot bootloader
- The OnePlus One smartphone will now boot in bootloader mode; type the next command:
- The command prompt utility should tell you your OnePlus One is connected; type the next command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.
- The custom recovery is now installed on your device; type the last command:
adb reboot recovery
We recommend everyone immediately holds the hardware key combination for recovery mode as soon as the OnePlus One reboots. Once you can see your device boot into the TWRP one time, you may reboot back in normal mode and the TWRP will forever be on your device until you decide it’s time to flash the stock recovery back on your handset.