These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500FN running on the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update — the update that you should find running on your device at the time of writing this guide. We recommend searching for a potential new guide should your J5 ever find the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update rolling out over the air.
Remember: head to the Sam Mobile website and download your stock ROM based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and flash it using the Odin flash tool should you ever want to update a rooted device. We do not recommend updating via over the air updates if you have root access.
- You should have the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone with the SM-J500FN model number to complete this guide.
- The CF-Auto-Root package in this guide is based on the LMY48B.J500FNXXU1AOK2 firmware which we know as part of an Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update that has rolled out to some re3gions around the world. That same build ID was not available for all regions or languages. You do not need to flash that firmware on your device The build ID is given by Chainfire for you to use as an indicator for what firmware this exploit is based. The reason he does that is so you can
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on your J5 handset by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Now you can exit the Developer Options menu and it will automatically remember your settings.
- On occasion, you might find there is no Developer Options menu available from your settings and therefore the USB Debugging Mode is not there for you to adjust. You can unlock the Developer Options menu on your Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone if it is hidden by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 or 8 times and then it should say you are using the device as a developer now.
- By rooting the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone with the CF-Auto-root tool you are agreeing to void the warranty until you unroot. Furthermore, rooting with the CF-Auto-Root tool does trip Knox.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY J5 SM-J500FN RUNNING ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download the CF-Auto-Root exploit for the J500FN device running Android 5.1.1 from here.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from here.
- Extract the packages to the desktop of your computer by right-clicking > extract here.
- Double-click the Odin executable file and wait until it opens on the desktop.
- Long-press the Power button down on your Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone and wait until it switches off completely.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy J5 handset to download mode by pressing the hardware key combination for that mode,.
- Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable and wait for a few seconds until your drivers get going.
- Click the PDA or the AP button you can see from the Odin flashing tool tool user-interface and then browse the de4stkop for the CF-Auto-Root file you can see.
- Do not make any changes to the default settings you get on the Odin flashing tool after you first open a fre4sh copy of the flashing tool.
- Click the Start button when you are ready and the flashing will begin.
The Samsung Galaxy J5 will reboot to recovery mode when it is done; it does that automatically. Any J5 handset that does not get into recovery mode will not find the SuperSU installed and enabled properly. If or when that happens for some people, you should boot the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone to recovery mode during the first time boot directly after you finish the flashing.