Rooting the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone is made easy thanks to the CF-Auto-Root tool that installs and enabled SuperSU on a device. The SuperSU is made by the same developer as the CF-Auto-Root tool. Chainfire, the man behind both, is responsible for rooting millions of devices. If your device is not getting rooted by a CF-Auto-Root tool, then there’s a good chance you might be able to install the SuperSU zip file from a custom recovery and get root access to your internal system that way.
You can root the Galaxy J5 using the CF-Auto-Root tool by Chainfire. The guide works for anyone running a stock recovery or a custom recovery. Anyone with a stock recovery can go on to install a custom recovery afterwards.
These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500F smartphones on the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update.
- The rooting exploit in this guide for the J5 smartphone is based on the LMY48B.J500FXXU1AOK2 firmware build ID which is part of the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop software update that rolled out to some regions. There are many unique build numbers rolling out to different regions and you do not need to be running that same firmware build ID on your Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone to complete this guide. It is, however, to be used as an indicator just in case your image gets too old. Some Samsung devices will not boot older images.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone by taping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Once you have checked the box so it appears on, you can leave the Developer Options menu and it will remember your preferences.
- Sometimes the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone might not be showing the Developer Options menu. For all those times, you can easily unlock it by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times. Now go back to the Settings menu and scroll down until you can see it says the Developer Options from the list. Tap to open and you will see the USB Debugging option inside.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY J5 SM-J500F RUNNING ANDROID 5.1.1
- Download the rooting exploit for the J500F device running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop from here.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from here.
- Extract the Odin and the CF-Auto-Root files on the desktop by right-clicking on the files > extract here.
- Run the Odin flashing tool executable that is on the desktop so your flashing tool opens.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone by long-pressing the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy J5 up in download mode.
- Connect the J5 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait for the drivers to kick in and then click the PDA/AP button from the Odin main user-interface.
- Browse the desktop for the CF-Auto-Root file and click the Start button when you are ready to flash.
The Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone will automatically reboot to recovery mode and finish the job. It’s rare, but sometimes a device does not make it to the recovery mode; therefore, the rooting guide does not complete. Anyone finding themselves without a rooted device because it did not get to recovery mode will have to use the hardware button combination and boot it in recovery mode manually during the first time boot.