Anyone with the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone can now install the world’s greatest custom recovery ( Team Win’s TWRP recovery ) on the SM-J200 model number by using the guide after the break. The TWRP version in this guide will equip your J2 device with all the same features and settings that you get when you have it running on any other device. Some of those features include the option to take NANDroid backups, install zip files, restore your data, and recover your device just to name a few.
- You must have the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone with the SM-J200 model number to use this guide. Any other model number will most likely get bricked if you use the file in this guide. You can find out the model number of your Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone by tapping on the Apps > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- You must have a computer that is running Windows to use this guide. We are using an older version of the Odin flashing tool in this guide which is compatible with all versions of Windows operating systems from Windows XP and up. However, should your device not get flashed and you want to try a more recent version of the Odin flashing tool, you may require a newer version of Windows.
- You can be running any firmware or software on your Samsung Galaxy J2 when you follow this guide. Your software and firmware does not affect your recovery like it normally would with root access.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone. The mode is usually off by default unless you have turned it on recently. Turn it on now by tapping on the Apps > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone owners who have not yet unlocked the Developer Options menu can do that now by tapping on the Apps > Settings > About Device > Scroll down to the Build Number and tap it continually until it tells you how many taps are reaming before you are using the device as a developer. You will find the Developer Options icon available from your Settings once those taps run out.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY J2 SM-J200
- Download the TWRP Recovery file for the J2 smartphone from here.
- Download the Odin flashing application from here.
- Click the small triangle on the right side of the downloads when they appear on the bottom of your display.
- Choose to “open in folder”.
- Drag the files over to the desktop location.
- Right-click the mouse on the files and choose to “extract here” from the menu.
- Double-click on the Odin executable file and the flashing tool’s user interface should open.
- Press the Power button in on your J2 smartphone and tap on the Power off option from the display.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone holding the Power + Volume Down + Home buttons in that sequence and keep them pressed in until you can see the download mode.
- Press the Volume Up button to get into download mode when it asks you to do that on the display.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable once it’s in the download mode.
- The ID: COM light should light up with a blue or yellow color when your device is detected and connected. Not light means you need to get the Samsung USB drivers working for your computer.
- Click the AP button.
- Browse the desktop for the TWRP recovery file and upload it to this spot.
- Turn off the Auto reboot button from the Odin user interface.
- Click the Start button and flash the custom recovery.
- Wait until you can see a green box with a pass message inside from the top left side of the Odin user interface.
- Reboot your device directly to recovery mode by pressing the Power button and shutting it down; reboot by holding the Power + Volume Up + Home in that sequence and keep holding them in until you can see the recovery mode text in the top left side of the screen.
In conclusion, that’s how to install a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone running any firmware.