Even though the official ClockworkMod Recovery is no longer being in its active development stages, it is still being released for some devices — one of those being the Motorola MotoActv smartwatch. CWM Recovery, like TWRP Recovery, will give your MotoActv smartwatch a custom recovery that is as feature-rich as any other recovery available.
These are the guidelines to install CWM Recovery on MotoActv smartwach using adb and a Windows computer.
- You don’t have to be rooted before you install a custom recovery this time; however, you can choose to root the Motorola MotoActv smartwatch before starting the guide if you prefer.
- You should use this guide with the MotoActv smartwatch only. The same file will not automatically work for other smartwatches in the Motorola range. Most of them will probably require unique files. Further, trying to root with the wrong files can harm your device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have a Windows-based computer to use this guide because the adb and fastboot in our guide are only compatible with Windows. You can find adb and fastboot to run on your Mac or Linux machines, but they may require unique commands that are separate from the commands found in this guide.
- It has been advised by the developer of the custom recovery that you fully charge your Motorola smartwatch before using this tutorial. People using the guide with a battery half full can face problems.
- Make sure you enable the USB Debugging Mode on your Moto smartwatch by tapping on the Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging Mode.
HOW TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY ON MOTOACTV
- Download and install adb on your computer to give yourself adb and fastboot.
– leave the adb folder open once you have it on your computer.
- Download the CWM custom recovery for the MotoActv from the DropBox link here.
- Install the adb drivers on your computer just to make sure your adb commands work.
- Once it downloads on your computer, click the small triangle on the right side of the file and choose the “show in folder” option.
- Drag the CWM over to the desktop of the computer.
- Right-click on the CWM file and choose to “extract here”.
- Copy or drag the CWM file over to the same folder as your adb so they both rest in the same directory.
- From inside the adb and recovery folder, hold the Shift key down and right-click the mouse where it shows no files.
- Choose to “open a new command prompt window here” from the menu.
- Type the following commands and press the Enter / Return key after each:
adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img /data/local/y
dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
adb reboot recover
Your smartwatch should reboot to recovery mode after applying the last command. It’s always best to first time boot directly into your custom recovery mode so that