Becoming the root user on the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500m smartphone can be done by flashing the CF-Auto-Root one-click rooting tool. The one-click root does not require a custom recovery to be installed and does not install one for you which means you cannot install custom ROMs after you follow this guide. A one-click rooting tool like CF-Auto-Root tool means you can start installing any of the apps that require root permissions on the operating system before they can run there are oodles of these apps in existence — from Titanium Backup to help take full backups without ADB commands to Viper4Android to help make the music you love sound like it is coming from much more expensive speakers.
The following guide runs through everything you need to root Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M phones when they are running on the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow software updates, regardless of the firmware version.
- You need the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone that comes with the SM-J500M model number to complete this guide. Flashing the file on another model number bricks that device, and you need to flash the correct stock ROM on it again to get it working again.
- You need to have a computer. It must be running on Windows OS to use the Odin flashing tool that is available in this guide. The Odin flashing tool is the only way to flash this version of the CF-Auto-Root tool.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Be aware that Chainfire does let us know that he was running on the MMB29M.J500MUBU1BPH1 firmware build number when he created the version of the CF-Auto-Root tool that is available in this guide. Just because he was running that firmware does not mean you need to be also. You can run on any firmware, and it works.
- Have the Samsung USB Drivers installed on the Windows computer before getting started with the guide so that the Odin flashing tool can detect your smartphone when you connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- Unlock the Developer Options menu and turn on the USB Debugging so that the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone can have changes made to the Android software which is a requirement if the rooting is going to work.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY J5 SM-J500M RUNNING ON ANDROID 6.0.1 USING CF-AUTO-ROOT
- Download the CF-Auto-Root tool for the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M smartphone running on the Android 6.0.1 marshmallow updates.
- Open up the Downloads folder and then extract the CF-Auto-Root file to the Downloads folder and the Odin flashing application and the flashable rooting file is the both available to use.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M smartphone into the Download Mode and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable that issue to charge the battery.
- Run the Odin flashing tool app that is available in the Downloads folder and then check that Odin shows a blue or yellow color coming from the ID; COM port which is there to let you know that the Samsung USB Drivers are working correctly, and the flashing works.
- Click on the AP button and browse through to the Downloads folder and then select the MD5 rooting file to upload to this location in Odin.
- Click on the Start button without changing any of the default settings from the Options tab and the rooting of the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M smartphone begins.
- Wait until Odin shows a green box that has a pass message inside of it before unplugging from the computer.
In conclusion, that is everything you need to root Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M smartphones running on the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow software updates by flashing Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root tool.