Do you know how to prevent your security camera from being hacked online? As the number of electronic gadgets connected to the Internet increases, the chances of your gadgets being hacked rises. A person may not think that security cameras are devices that are prone to hacking, but there are potential security concerns exist for security cameras too. It can be used by hackers to invade your privacy.
Why it is Easy to Hack Your Security Camera
When a hacker wants to hack and gain control over your video feed, there are generally two ways. One is by doing it locally and the other is hacking it remotely.
To hack a security camera locally, you need to get access to a wireless network. Remote hacks are more likely and very difficult to prevent. A data breach is one factor that leads to remote hacking. There are various methods to hack a network and get access to the security camera.
How Do You Know Your Security Camera is Hacked?
It is not easy to know if your security camera is being hacked. In fact, it becomes really difficult to know what has gone wrong with your security camera and to trace if someone has hacked your security camera or not. When a hacker hacks the security camera, most of times your CPU cycle has to work really hard. You security camera performance will be affected when it has been hacked by an online hacker. But, you cannot blindly conclude that your security camera has been hacked by just looking at the poor performance of your security camera or your CPU. The poor performance may also be due to poor signal or connection. However, there are ways to prevent your security camera from being hacked in the first place.
Steps to Prevent Your Security Camera from Being Hacked
Here are some precautions to take to prevent your security camera from being hacked.
- You can secure your wireless network with the help of WPA2.
- Enabling encryption in your security camera through administrative tools helps to prevent your security camera from being hacked by an online hacker.
- Another method to protect your security camera from being hacked is by protecting your admin software with a strong username and password combination that cannot be easily cracked by a hacker.
- Updating your security camera’s firmware regularly is another technique to prevent your security camera from being hacked.
- Putting your security camera on a different network is also a good option for preventing it from being hacked.
- Experts suggest that by having a different network for different devices, it makes it very difficult for the hacker to hack one system and then hack the others that are connected to the first one.
- Using a virtual private network for connecting your security camera is also a good option for preventing your security camera from being hacked. The VPN restricts the user from accessing devices that are connected to the network. Also a virtual private network allows you to log activities to the server so that you can regularly monitor the happenings in the server to make sure nothing wrong is happening with it.
To prevent your security camera from being hacked, first you need to understand the network connections used for connecting your security camera. By following the steps given above, you can take the necessary preventive measures to prevent your security camera from being hacked.