Pictures of the Samsung Galaxy Gear leak days before announcementSeptember 2, 2013 1 Email article | Print article
It’s officially September and we’re only days away now from Samsung officially revealing its long-rumored smartwatch. But thanks to VentureBeat, we’re getting an early look.
If this is indeed the Galaxy Gear that will be announced at IFA, I have to say, it looks pretty chunky. It looks huge, actually. The screen is reportedly 3-inches but the device in its entirety doesn’t look small enough to replace a traditional watch, but looks more like a device that you might choose to put on your wrist, if that makes any sense.
The Gear will be equipped with a 4-megapixel camera, speakers, full-color display, Bluetooth and WiFi. It’s essentially another standalone computer, only for your wrist.
The site has more specs for the device, which are listed below:
- Samsung S Voice for voice commands
- Preloaded with Android apps for social media, health tracking, etc.
- Integration with a companion Galaxy S phone or tablet
- An easy-to-use swipe function to access apps, the built-in camera, and the photo gallery
- Call logs (A cool use-case: You can initiate a call from the watch to a Samsung smartphone device)
- Internet access
- Power button on the side
- Social media integration — you can share to your Facebook or Twitter account from the watch
- 10+ hours battery life
According to GigaOm, however, these images are of a developer prototype. So while the specs (like the size of the screen) are most likely what we’ll see in the official announcement, the watch will have a look of a ”different, more finished product.” Samsung is expected to announce the Galaxy Gear smartwatch alongside the Note 3 at IFA on September 4th.