Having the ability to record your screen can be very useful at times. This is why dotTech’s has a review on the best free screen recording programs for Windows. Not satisfied with the programs we mention? Then maybe Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro is more your liking. Let’s see if it is worth your time.
What Is It and What Does It Do
As the name indicates, Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro lets you record your screen plus associated audio. It can also record your web cam.
- Has the ability to record any and all screen activity, including live streaming videos
- Has the ability to record web cam (from any program that supports web cams)
- Can record audio from speakers/sound card (loopback audio) and/or audio from microphone while recording screen or web cam
- Allows you to annotate screen with shapes, text, and drawings/markings while recording screen
- When recording screen, you can opt to record whole screen, a specific region of the screen only, or record the region around your mouse (which changes as you move your mouse)
- Has built-in video converter that allows you to output recorded screen videos or record web cam as various different output formats, including but not limited to AVI, MPEG, MP4, and FLV
- Has a built-in scheduler for automatic recording
- If you want, you can opt to record just audio (loopback audio or audio from microphone) and not record screen activity
- Can perform basic edits on videos when converting — trim, crop, adjust brightness/contrast/saturation and add subtitle
- Can also take screenshots
- Supports hotkeys
- Can’t record screen and web cam at the same time
- There are many freeware screen recorders that allow you to easily and successfully record screen and/or web cam. If I’m going to pay for a screen recorder, I’d like the ability to have advanced video editing features to process the video after capture. Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro doesn’t really have any significant video editing features — the basic video editing features it has are the ones found in almost every video converter. As it stands, you can most — if not all — the functionality of Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro by combining a freeware screen recorder with a freeware video converter.
- Screenshot feature is a bit basic
Conclusion and Download Link
Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro has good aspects and then it has some aspects where it is lacking. In terms of recording, it does well and I especially like its ability to annotate while recording screen… a feature not found in many other screen recording programs (especially the freeware ones). What I don’t like is it lacks in after-video-capture editing features. And at $39.95/$99.95, I expect a screen recording program to have more editing features than what Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro has — because there are tons of freeware that can already capture screen and/or web cam, so to convince me to pay you need to provide me with extended functionality.
That said, do I recommend Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro? I’m not going to pass judgement on Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro. As I said, it has good aspects and then it has lacking aspects. So you decide — in your opinion, is it good enough for you to overlook the bad? Then grab it. If not, skip it.
Regardless of what decision you make, be sure to read dotTech’s review of best free screen and video recording programs for Windows to learn of some excellent yet free screen/video recorders. Who knows, may be you will find one that you like and then have no need to purchase Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro.
Price: $39,95 (home), $99.99 (business)
Version reviewed: v1.1.9
Supported OS: Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8
VirusTotal malware scan results:
Is it portable? No