Remember East-Tec Eraser 2008? Come on you did not forget already – it has only been …*counts on his fingers*… ten days since dotTech readers were rewarded with East-Tec Erase 2008 as a freebie. Well PC Tools Privacy Guardian is a very similar program to East-Tec Eraser.
Wth Privacy Guardian you can:
- Securely clean your Windows and Internet activity*.
- Securely delete individual files and folders.
- “Bleach” (securely delete previously deleted files) your hard drive.
*Privacy Guardian supports all major browsers and a bunch of third party applications (50+).
Privacy Guardian uses “Pseudorandom” , US DoD 5220.22-M, and Gutmann secure deletion algorithms/methods. More detailed information on Privacy Guardian is available at the developers website.
If you already have East-Tec Eraser I suggest sticking with it (because East-Tec Eraser is the superior program) and if you don’t have East-Tec Eraser I suggest getting it. However for those people, for whatever reason, do not want East-Tec Eraser, you can get Privacy Guardian by doing the following:
Usually I don’t post PC Tools freebie promotions because they are almost always magazine specific and not for the general public (I try not to post freebies that are not for the general public on my blog – “clean blog” policy so to speak) but I see no indication that this Privacy Guardian freebie is magazine specific.
- Download Privacy Guardian. ***Privacy Guardian is supported on Windows Vista 32-bit, XP, Me, 98 and 2000
- Go to the promotion page and register.
- Check your email inbox for an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject “PC Tools Privacy Guardian License Information”. The email will contain your registration/license name and code. Copy the code.
- Run Privacy Guardian and type in your registration/license name and paste in your code.
…Seriously you should be using East-Tec Eraser 2008 instead!
Thanks to Muaan for informing me about this freebie.