Have a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G you’re looking to root? This guide will help you! Follow the instructions below and in no time at all your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G will be rooted and ready for modding!
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty. Flash ClockworkMod recovery at your own risk. Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery will void your warranty.
This root guide is for the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Before We Begin
- You’ll need to download the SuperSU package, ODIN, and the Clockworkmod Recovery image to your computer.
- Extract the ZIP archive of ODIN onto your computer.
- Place the SuperSU package on your phone’s internal storage or SD card.
- Place the ClockworkMod Recovery image in the same folder where you extracted ODIN.
- USB debugging needs to be enabled on your device. Go to System settings, then Developer Options, and finally Debugging. Check the box next to USB Debugging.
- You’ll need to download the official Samsung USB drivers and install them to your Windows PC.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
STEP ONE: Flashing ClockwordMod Recovery
- Disconnect your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G if you have it connected to your computer via USB, turn your phone off, and boot into Download mode. Enter Download Mode by holding both the Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time while you connect your phone to your PC with USB cable on your PC.
- Open up ODIN.
- Select the PDA option. Locate the Clockworkmod Recovery image that you downloaded and select it.
- Select the box that says ‘F. Reset Time’. Leave the Auto Reboot and Repartition boxes deselected.
- Select the Start option in ODIN. The flashing will begin. Please be patient. Do not disconnect your device. Wait till ODIN tells you that it’s finished. As soon as ClockworkRecovery Mod has been flashed to your Relay 4G, please do not boot into Android. Instead, proceed to step two.
STEP ONE: Rooting Galaxy S Relay 4G
- Remove the battery from your Galaxy S Relay 4G.
- Put the battery back into your Galaxy S Relay 4G.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time. After doing this you should be taken into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Choose ‘install from SD card‘ (navigate with Volume Up/Down buttons and the Power button to select).
- Using Volume Up and Down to navigate and Power to select, select the SuperSU package that you previously placed onto your SD card or internal storage.
- ClockworkMod will begin flashing the file to your Relay 4G. Please be patient.
- Once flashing has completed, reboot your Galaxy S Relay 4G.
- When your Galaxy S Relay 4G has finished rebooting, navigate into the Google Play Store and install BusyBox.
- After installation, run BusyBox and be sure to give BusyBox root access.
- When BusyBox has been given SuperUser access, you’ve successfully rooted your Galaxy S Relay 4G.
Enjoy a rooted Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G.