Getting your Sony Xperia Z Ulta Google Play edition (GPe) rooted is now just some minutes away, with this guide helping you through. Rooting your device will help you to get access to advanced functions like restricting permissions for applications, taking advanced backups and so on.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to root your Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play edition (GPe) on Android Jelly Bean. Do not try this on any other device. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
Before you get started with the guide, be ready for it:
- Unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Download the latest version RevolutionKernel (say, RevolutionKernel-ZU-v1.1.img) from this XDA thread to some location on your computer (say, C:\xperia).
- Download SuperSU (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip), the superuser access management tool for your device.
Download and install ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Download and install USB drivers for your Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPe.
How To Root Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPe
- Move the file SuperSU file, UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip to some location on your Xperia Z Ultra GPe.
- Power off your device.
- Now, connect your device to your computer while keeping the Volume Up button pressed. Your device will now boot into the Fastboot mode.
- Open a command window prompt on your computer (Press “Windows key + R” key combination and then enter “cmd” without quotes to open a command window).
- Change the working directory of the command prompt to the location where you had placed the RevolutionKernel file (e.g., RevolutionKernel-ZU-v1.1.img) using the command “cd c:\xperia“.
- Now, enter the following command in the command window (after replacing *insert RevolutionKernel filname* with the name of the file, e.g., RevolutionKernel-ZU-v1.1.img):
fastboot boot *insert RevolutionKernel filname*
- After this gets finished, boot into the recovery mode on your device.
- Choose the ‘install zip’ option and then choose the file UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip from your device.
- Congrats! You have now successfully rooted your device.
Enjoy the taste of root on your Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPe!