Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. Ashraf and dotTech are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
Don’t forget that rooting your device will void your warranty.
This procedure requires a Windows PC.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make sure your device’s battery is above 70% or better yet, fully charged.
- Make sure your phone’s bootloader is unlocked. If it isn’t, you can unlock it at the HTCdev website.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device’s Settings.
- Download and install the MoboRobo Tool USB drivers.
- Download the Custom Recovery for the HTC Desire 816.
- Download SuperSu for the HTC Desire 816 and copy it to your device memory card or internal memory.
HOW TO INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY ON THE HTC DESIRE 816
To install Custom Recovery on the HTC Desire 816, follow the steps below:
- Turn off your device.
- Boot your device into “fastboot” mode by pressing down on the Volume Down button and the Power button together for a couple of seconds.
- Connect your device to the PC while it is in fastboot mode.
- Run the “Custom_Recovery.exe” that you downloaded in the previous section to install Custom Recovery on your device.
- Enter into “Recovery” mode by selecting HBOOT.
HOW TO ROOT THE HTC DESIRE 816
Now, to root the HTC Desire 816, follow the steps below:
- While in Recovery mode, select “Install Zip from SD Card” and choose the “SuperSu.zip” that you copied to your device in the first section.
- Select Yes to begin the installation of SuperSu on your device.
- Once the installation/flashing process is complete, navigate to the main menu of the Recovery mode and select Reboot.
- Your device has successfully been rooted, congrats!
To verify that you’ve successfully rooted the HTC Desire 816, you can download Root Checker from the Play Store to verify it. Enjoy your rooted HTC Desire 816!