In my previous post, I reviewed a certain extension for Chrome called TLDR. The said extension can automatically generate a summary of long articles. Nonetheless, there’s a downside to using TLDR as it is only available to Chrome, Safari and Firefox. If you’re using another browser, you might want to consider looking for an alternative.
Fortunately, there’s a simple way to quickly summary a lengthy web page or article regardless of the browser that you’re on. If you want to learn how, simply refer to the steps listed below.
How to quickly summarize a web page or article
- On your web browser, click this link to go to the homepage of “Skim.it” – a free web app that lets you summarize a lengthy web page or post in 100 words.
- To use the web app, you are required to register an account. So go ahead and register. Once you’re done, just log in to see your online dashboard.
- Now, go ahead and open another tab. Look for the article that you want to summarize then copy its direct link or URL.
- After which, go back to the web app and go to your dashboard. Look for the URL field on the top menu bar (next to the web app’s logo), paste the URL of the article that you wish to summarize then hit “Enter”.
- A new overlay window will appear and it will prompt you to select or create a new canvas. Just enter the name of your canvas then set its privacy to private or public. Click the “Skim.it” button as soon as you’re done.
- Wait while the web app is processing your content and once it’s done, your summarized web page or article will eventually appear on your dashboard’s feed. Just refresh the page if ever the summarized content doesn’t appear after a few seconds.
So that’s it. You’ve successfully generated a 100-word summary of a web page or article. Just copy that summary or share it to others via email, Facebook or Twitter.