The Google Nexus 4 is finding yet another over the air update available which boosts the OS up to Android 5.1 Lollipop with LMY47O firmware. Check the guide after the jump to learn how you can unchain the Nexus 4 system internals and take away the Google factory restrictions so you can start installing custom ROMs.
- You must be updated to the latest LMY47O Android 5.1 software update. Don’t try this using a different build number because we can’t guarantee that will be safe.
- You want to use the guide on the Nexus 4 only and not any of the other Nexus devices such as the Nexus 5.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You want to install the USB Drivers on your Windows computer. Now restart the computer and the same drivers should work. The ywopn’t work unless you reboot, though.
- Enable the USB Debugging: Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
HOW TO ROOT NEXUS 4 ON LMY470 ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download Android SDK and setup ADB and fastboot for Windows using this guide.
- Download the SuperSU zip file.
- Download fastboot for Windows.
- You want to download each of the above packages to the desktop of the Windows PC.
- Now find the nexus USB cable and connect the nexus 4 to the computer with the cable.
- Copy the SuperSU package to the root of your SD card.
Completely turn of the nexus by holding down the power button for 15 seconds.
- Download CWM recovery here. Save the ClockworkMod recovery to the Android SDK /platform-tools directory on the computer.
- Boo t the Nexus 4 in bootloader mode by holding down the Power and volume Down buttons together. Release the buttons when you see text on the screen.
- Open the /platform-tools directory and right-click on a blank white space while holding down the Shift key. Now choose to open the Command prompt.
- Type your first command:
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-mako.img
- Choose the recovery mode option from the fastboot menu.
- Search for the “flash zip from SD card” in recovery, followed by “choose zip from SD card”..
- Browse for the SuperSU package you transferred earlier to the internal storage.
- Once flashed, navigate back out of there and click “reboot system now” from the main recovery menu.