If you own the G900H variant of the Samsung Galaxy S5 that is region locked to North and South America, you can gain root access to it by following the guide below. You should check that you are running Android 4.4.2 KitKat before starting the guide. Once you know you have KitKat running, following the guide so you can then install root-only apps from Google Play, including Device Control, Full!screen, Root Explorer, ROM Toolbox Pro and many more!
Furthermore, since this is the Sammy S5 we are talking about, you will have no shortage of custom ROMs to flash later too. Here’s how it’s done:
- The S5 with model number G900H and not any other model numbers.
- You ought to be running Android 4.4.2 KitKat for this to be 99.9% safe.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers to the desktop of the computer.
- Unlock the Developer Options menu by navigating to Settings > About Device > tap the build number 7 times.
- Understand that you are voiding the warranty by following this guide provided by Chainfire. Most of Chainfire’s work always voids the warranty.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 G900H ON ANDROID 4.4.2 KITKAT
- Download the CF-Auto-Root file you need on the desktop of the Windows PC.
- Download a version of Odin to use with Chainfire’s work.
- Extract both files from the desktop by right-clicking over the file and choosing the “extract here” option.
– Download WinRAR for free for Windows if you do not know how to unzip the file.
- Now you should see both executable files (.exe) available to use on the desktop.
- Double click the executable Odin file and run that app.
- Hold down the Power key on the S5 for 10 seconds and wait until it shuts down.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone in download mode.
- This should boot it to Download Mode. You might see a warning screen. Press the Volume Up button on the warning screen to finish the path to Download Mode.
- Connect the S5 to the WIndows computer where you have the files and the Odin already open.
- Click the PDA button inside Odin and upload the executable file from Chainfire’s folder.
- Leave the default Settings inside Odin.
- Click the Start button and don’t touch any keys until the flashing completes.
- It will eventually say “pass” on the Odin app and your handset will reboot. Now you may regain control of the S5 handset and your Google account.
- The easiest way to test it worked by head straight to Google Play and test out a root-only app. There’s also several versions of the root checker app available from Google Play which will verify it’s complete with your display.