Android users are in for a special treat today with over 20 awesome CM apps available to install from a flashable zip file on your Android device. Until today, such CyanogenMod apps are usually reserved for only a select few handsets like the OnePlus One handset. Now, thanks to some third-party developers over at XDA Developers, anyone can try out these apps on their device without root access!
Installing the CM apps zip file is easy: have your device rooted, install a custom recovery, boot the device into the custom recovery mode and flash the zip package like you would any other zip from inside recovery. The list of recoveries available vary depending on your device. Choose from either TWRP recovery, ClockworkMod recovery or PhilZ touch recovery. Look for the “install” or “install from zip” option from the recovery menu, depending on what one you are using.
- The zip file is for those of you running Android 5.0 Lollipop version of a CyanogenMod ROM (CM12).
- You need to visit the XDA page here and find the zip file. The OP is requesting links to the main page only so people can clearly read what precautions you must take before installing.
THE APPS LIST:
- Theme Chooser
- Face Lock
- Android For Work
- Google Connectivity Services
- Theme Store
- Sound Recorder
- Media Provider
- Eleven Music App
- Ambient Core (CyanogenMod OS 12 Account Manager)
- Trebuchet Launcher
- CM Theme Showcase
- Hexo Theme from CyanogenOS 12
- Boxer Email App
There are mixed reports about whether these apps are available for root-only users. I do not advise you try installing this on stock Android, although I’m unable to find a clear answer on whether these are available for root-only users. One thread touches on it works for all devices but do not try with Samsung TouchWiz which implies perhaps you can use it without root. You won’t get far with that idea using this guide, though, since flashing zips isn’t a feature available from a stock recovery.