Rooting the new OnePlus X is what you need to do to get access to the root file system on your smartphone. Once we get access to the root file system, we can install additional apps which require this access in order from them to work. Many of the apps which require root access are also some of the best apps available from the Google Play Store. Most importantly, you finally gain control of your device completely without any company stamping their authority over your choices.
- These instructions are for the OnePlus X smartphone only. The same SuperSU file we are using in this guide is also available for some other device, but not all devices. Since we cannot see what device you have, we cannot tell if it will brick your device or not. For that reason, you should follow this guide with the OnePlus X only.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must install TWRP recovery on the OnePlus X smartphone before you can follow this guide for getting the root access to your internal system. We are loading the SuperSU file through that custom recovery and there is no other way to get that job done. Follow the link through to that custom recovery guide and get that done before coming back here and continuing with this guide.
- Those of you with a custom recovery installed already — whether it be TWRP, CWM or Philz touch recovery version that might be available in the future — can all use this guide. The only difference is the exact wording will slightly change from within your custom recovery, but you should find these instructions working for you nonetheless.
- Download the required USB Drivers from our USB drivers page. If you cannot find your brand on the list, try downloading the universal ADB driver instead.
HOW TO ROOT ONEPLUS X ON ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download the SuperSU file from the link to your computer.
- Open the folder where you file is located and drag it over to the desktop of your computer.
- Connect the OnePlus X smartphone to the computer with the USB cable — the same cable you use for charging the battery.
- Transfer the SuperSU file (still zipped) to the root of the internal storage SD card — that means do not store it in one of the sub folders.
- Once done, disconnect the device from the computer.
- Reboot the OnePlus X smartphone into the custom recovery mode: turn it off and reboot it holding the Volume Down and Power buttons together until you can select the recovery mode from the display.
- Once in the recovery mode take the NANDroid backup — do that by hitting the backup button.
- Now choose the ‘Install’ option and browse the SD card for that SuperSU file you installed on your SD card earlier.
- Confirm you want to install that file on the bottom of the screen and your device will get root access flashed.
- Select the Reboot System option from the main recovery menu after your device is flashed with the SuperSU file.
Now your OnePlus X smartphone will reboot in the normal mode and you can browse the Google Play Store for rooted apps. You might want to start with a root checker to verify the root access is granted to your system.