These are the instructions to root Nexus 6P on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with the build number MMB29M. Once you root the Google Huawei Nexus 6P smartphone, you can start installing all of your favorite rooted apps once again.
In an age where the smartphone display is continually getting larger, most people aren’t complaining about not having enough screen real estate on the Huawei Nexus 6P. After you root the Nexus 6P smartphone, you can still make the screen appear even larger by removing the navigation bar on the bottom of the screen. Rooted users can achieve this by installing the Full!screen application that is available from the Google Play Store.
- The following guide is made for the Google Huawei Nexus 6P only. Do not install these files on any other device or you risk bricking that device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the universal ADB Driver from our ADB and USB Drivers page you can find from this link. Install the drivers on your computer.
- You are voiding the Huawei warranty by following this guide. You cannot get that warranty working again unless you unroot the device.
- Confirm the USB Debugging Mode is enabled on your smartphone by pointing to the menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- If for whatever reason you cannot see the Developer Options menu available from the Settings menu, try tapping on the build number that is available on the About Device menu and unlocking it. Now you should see the Developer Options coming from the Settings menu if you scroll down to the bottom. You need to tap over the build number around 7 times before you will unlock the hidden Developer Options menu.
HOW TO ROOT GOOGLE NEXUS 6P ON ANDROID 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW MMB29M FIRMWARE
- Download and set up ADB and Fastboot on your Windows computer.
- Download the SuperSU for your 6P from this link.
- Download the TWRP recovery you need to help flash the SuperSU and root the device.
- Transfer the TWRP recovery to the same file where you have ADB and Fastboot.
- Connect the Huawei Nexus 6P to the computer with the USB cable and transfer the SuperSU file (still zipped) to the root of the internal SD card storage.
- Power down the Huawei Nexus 6P so it’s completely off.
- Reboot the device back up in Fastboot mode: Power and Volume Down keys until you can see the bootloader menu.
- Open the folder where you have ADB, Fastboot and the custom recovery image and hold down Shift and right-click the mouse.
- Choose to open a new command windows here from the menu.
- Type the command: fastboot flash recovery twrp-22.214.171.124-angler.img
- Look on the smartphone’s display and choose the recovery option from the menu and your device will now boot into the custom recovery you just flashed using the command line.
- Navigate to the ‘Install’ option from the recovery mode menu.
- Browse the SD card for the SuperSU APK and confirm to install the same.
- Now from the main recovery menu, choose the reboot system option and you’re done.
- The Google Huawei Nexus 6P will now reboot in the normal mode and you can use your rooted device.
Now you can open the Google Play Store on the Nexus 6P smartphone and install the Full!screen app on your handset if you want to test out what having a screen without a navigation bar is like. The Full!screen app is just one example of many new apps available in your arsenal now that you have rooted the Google Huawei Nexus 6P device.