- Use this guide to root Sony Xperia M2 Aqua smartphones only. It is not made for any other device.
- This guide is only made for the D2403 device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make a backup of all your Sony Xperia M2 data using the Sony PC Companion. You will lose all data and rely on restoring that data later to get it back. You can only do that by creating a backup of the data before you begin.
HOW TO ROOT SONY XPERIA M2 AQUA AND FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY
- Download the rooting exploit you need from this link.
- Extract the rooting package on the desktop of the computer.
- Copy the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf and D2303_18.0.C.1.13_Global Generic_Only kernel.ftf files to the Flashtool/firmware directory.
- Open up the Flash Tool.
- Flash the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf and wipe all.
- Wait for the flashing to complete, and then head over to the Menu > Settings > About Phone menu.
- Tap on the build number 7 or 8 times until it says you are now using the device as a developer.
- Enter the Developer Options menu by tapping the Menu > Settings > Developer Options and apply the Stay Awake, USB Debugging Mode and Allow Mock Locations.
- Now tap the Menu > Settings > Security > Enable the Unknown Sources option. Now you can install application from third-party sources outside the Google Play Store.
- From the same Security menu, enter Device administrators and deactivate ‘Enterprise Service’ and the ‘Android Device Manager’.
- Connect the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua to the computer and allow the USB Debugging Mode every time on this computer if prompted on the display.
- Unplug the M2 from the computer and long-press the Power button to turn it off.
- Enter the Flash tool again and flash the D2303_18.0.C.1.13_Global Generic_Only kernel.ftf
- Disconnect your M2 and turn it on. Wait for the black screen after the Sony logo — don’t worry, this is normal.
- Open the EasyRootTool v12.4 install.bat file on the computer and run the same. If yours gets stuck the first time, run it a second time and it should work.
- Wait until it tells you that your M2 Aqua smartphone is rooted and then unplug it again.
- Look in the folder for the DSC_0001.jpg image and open it to see a button you must push to power off your device.
- Enter the Flash Tool again and flash the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf kernel only this time.
- Turn on the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua and it will reboot back in normal mode.
- Open the Google Play Store and download the SuperSU application by Chainfire. Do not open the app once you install it.
- Connect the Sony M2 device to the computer once again and run the SONY RIC Killer v2 install.bat.
- Once you have done that, open your SuperSU app from the app drawer and agree to update the SU binary if it prompts you to do so on the display.
That’s it; you have just rooted your Sony Xperia M2 Aqua handset. Many devices from the Sony Xperia range are an annoyance to root and the M2 Aqua has proved no different. Hopefully you got there in the end.