Samsung Galaxy S6 owners can change the stock ROM for a custom ROM that is made by third-party developers. Since the Sammy S6 is one of the most popular devices in the world, you should find some of the best developers out there making new ROMs. The device is still only new, so the number of custom ROMs available is still limited. Nevertheless, there is still a few worth checking out already, and we can expect many more coming in the future months ahead.
- You must root the Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone before you can install a custom ROM.
– use our search box to find a guide that’s right for your model number.
- You must install a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S6 before you can install a custom ROM.
– use our search box once again to find the guide that’ll work for your model number.
- The custom ROM links come with a bunch of unique model numbers. You need to check the model number each ROM is suitable for from within the download link before installing the ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S6 device. Many of the ROMs come compatible with several model numbers. You can check the model number of your S6 by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make sure you backup your data before flashing a new ROM on the device. You should wipe the stock or custom ROM that is currently running on your device before you install a new custom ROM from the list below. Since you are wiping the ROM, you will rely on a backup to restore that data again later. You do not need to wipe or backup until we show you how that is done during the guide.
- The Google stock apps might not come pre-loaded on your custom ROM. You will need to install the Google Gapps package for your version of Android if you want the Google stock apps running. You can install the Gapps the same way you are installing the custom ROM file. Always choose the same version of Gapps that your ROM is based on. For example, if your ROM is based on Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) then you should find the Android 5.1.1 Google Gapps file and download the same.
HOW TO INSTALL A CUSTOM ROM ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S6
Download the custom ROM you want to install from the choices below:
- Android 5.1.1 XtreStoLite Deo-Mod Edition
- Android 5.1.1 Noble ROM
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S6 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the custom ROM zip file over to the root of the internal SD card storage.
- Unplug your Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone from the computer once you are confident you do have the ROM zip file on your SD card.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy S6 in Recovery Mode and it will boot up the custom recovery you have already installed earlier.
- Tap on the ‘Backup’ button from the main recovery menu and it will guide you through taking the NANDroid Backup.
- Tap on the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option and it will wipe your device clean, ready for installing a new ROM on the device.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ option and it will show you where you can upload your custom ROM zip file from the SD card.
- Confirm you do want to install that new ROM zip file from the SD card from the option to do that on the display.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and choose the ‘Reboot System’ option to boot your Samsung Galaxy S6 back in normal mode.
Once your Sammy S6 smartphone reboots in the normal mode, you will see your new custom ROM loading and the older stock ROM gone.