Updating the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is one of the more popular things you can do with your new device. One of the perks of buying into an expensive device like the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is that you can expect updates aplenty coming your way over the next few years, and at a time when many of the older devices are not longer being supported.
if you happen to own a customized Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge smartphone with root access to that internal system of yours, it’s recommended to update manually using a computer and the Odin flashing tool. By accepting OTA updates, you are opening doorways to potentially bricking your device. That’s only the case if your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge smartphone is rooted. As soon as you flash the firmware manually, your device is no longer rooted and you can start accepting those OTA notifications in the future again.
- The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow file found in this guide is for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus with the SM-G928C model number only. You can find out the model number of your S6 Edge Plus by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number. Any other model number will get bricked by following this guide.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Anyone with a rooted Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus device will find that device unrooted once they flash the official software update. You will need to root the device again running on the newer firmware build if that applies to you. Be wary that the most risky time to root a device using the CF-Auto-Root tool by Chainfire is directly after accepting OTA updates. Sometimes these OTA’s can come with new bootloaders and when that happens, Chainfire needs to update the rooting files before they work again. Give it a few days to a week and your chance of your device being unsuccessful during the rooting guide will dramatically decrease.
HOW TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE PLUS SM-G928C TO ANDROID 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW
- Download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware file for the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus smartphone from the Sam Mobile website here. (You will need to create a new account and sign in before the Sam Mobile website lets you download files from their site.)
- Download the Odin flashing tool for the S6 Edge Plus from here.
- Extract both packages to the desktop of the computer by right-clicking the files > extract here from the menu.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus device to the computer in download mode.
- Click the AP or the PDA button you have from the Odin application.
- Browse the desktop for the OTA file.
- Do not change any of the default settings you get from download a new version of the Odin application.
- Click the Start button when you are ready for the flashing to begin.
- Wait until Odin gives your S6 Edge Plus device the pass message from the message box.
In conclusion, your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus should now be updated with the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. You can find out how to root the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus SM-G928C device if you would like ot check out some root applications such as Tasker.