TWRP Recovery is the custom recovery of choice to install on the Huawei U8815 device. What makes TWRP so special is the way it lets people touch the display of the smartphone or tablet it is running on, whereas most other recoveries are usually forcing people to navigate through the recovery menu using the volume buttons. The volume buttons method wasn’t half bad considering that is the same way we would use the stock recovery menu on your device, but when the guys from Team Win thought of the touch-based user-interface things changed forever.
Team Win’s TWRP Recovery was originally developed for the Google Nexus range of devices before its success soon saw it spread out to many other devices. These days people can install Team Win’s version of recovery on hundreds of devices, and we are still finding new devices coming out and being compatible with TWRP all the time.
- You must unlock the bootloader on the Huawei Ascend G300 smartphone before you can follow this guide to install a custom recovery on the device.
- The following guide is intended for the G300 / U8815 variant of the Huawei Ascend device and no other. Using the file found in this guide on one of the other model numbers will probably brick down that device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Understand that installing a custom recovery image of any kind over the stock recovery will void the manufacturer’s warranty. You can always get the warranty from Huawei back on its feet by flashing the stock recovery over the top. Your device only ever allows for one recovery to be running at a time, and therefore when the stock recovery is back on the device, it has wiped any history of the custom version.
- Anyone needing to unlock the Developer Options menu can do that by tapping on the Settings app > About Device > Build Number a minimum of 7 times. Keep tapping until the operating system sends a message on your display, letting you know that you are now using the G300 handset as a developer.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the G300 smartphone from the Developer Options you just unlocked by tapping on the Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Now leave the Developer Options menu and your OS will remember your preferences.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON HUAWEI ASCEND G300 / U8815
- Set up adb and fastoot on your computer that is running Windows for an operating system and then come back and continue where you left off with this guide.
- Download the TWRP Recovery file for your G300 device directly to the computer and then copy the file from the default downloads folder over to the desktop.
- Extract the TWRP Recovery file by right-clicking on the file and choosing the option to “extract here” from the menu.
- Copy the TWRP Recovery image file over to the same folder as your adb awaits so they are both in the same folder.
- From within that same folder where you have the recovery and adb, hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse where there are no files and you should get a new menu popping up on the display.
- Choose to open a new command window here from that new menu showing you some options.
- Connect the Huawei Ascend G300 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable you would normally use to charge the device’s battery.
- Type the following commands and press enter between each one:
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- fastboot reboot
Press the recovery mode hardware button combination after you issue the “fastboot reboot” command to make sure your device does not wipe the custom recovery with the stock recovery. By pressing the recovery button combination during the first time boot, you are making sure the TWRP boots. Once you see it boot up once, you can go back to using your device in normal mode and expect to find the TWRP recovery each time you boot into recovery in the future.