Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone owners need a custom recovery image running on their device if they want to start installing custom ROMs. A custom recovery such as Team Win’s TWRP gives you all the options you need to manage successfully and maintain your new ROMs. You can choose to backup and restore your data — a feature that is of vital important to anyone who is installing new ROMs. Moreover, you can wipe the data and apply a factory reset, as well as clear the cache so your new ROM installs and runs smoothly. You also have the option to upload the ROM through the install button which is a feature you do not get from any stock recovery partition.
These are the instructions to install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T smartphone using the Odin flashing application and a computer running Windows:
- The following guide is prepared for the T-Mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone, and it comes with the SM-G900T model number. You can find that model number by tapping on the Settings > About Device > Model Number to check that yours matches. Any other model number will get bricked if you follow this guide and flash the version of custom recovery image we are using.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the Developer Options menu if it is hidden on your Samsung Galaxy S5 T-Mobile smartphone before you start doing anything else because you’ll need it to enable the USB Debugging Mode in the next step. You can unlock the said mode by tapping on the Settings app > About Device > Tap where it says the build number until it counts you down with how many times are remaining until you start using the device as a developer. That means you will now find the Developer Options menu available from the next step.
- Turn on the USB Debugging Mode on the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone by tapping on the Settings app > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 FOR T-MOBILE SUBSCRIBERS
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the T-Mobile S5 smartphone from here.
- Download the Odin flashing tool version 3.10 from here.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from our USB drivers page here.
- Extract the Odin flashing app and the TWRP recovery image to the desktop of the computer. (Extracting to the desktop is simple: just download the file, click the arrow on the side of the file and choose to show in folder. Now copy or drag the files over to the desktop of the computer. Once on the desktop, right-click on each of the files and choose the “extract here” from the menu.)
- Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers on the Windows computer before you move to the next step. (To install the drivers on your computer, click to download the file from the link above and then open the folder that contains the file. Double-click on the driver file that downloaded and then click the Next > Next > Finish buttons to complete the installation).
- Double-click the Odin executable file and wait for the flashing tool to open on the desktop.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S5 from T-Mo to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the AP button from the Odin user interface and browse the desktop for the recovery file you extracted earlier. (Make sure you do not extract the file a second time or else it won’t work now).
- Deselect the “Auto Reboot” box from the Odin user interface so your smartphone does not automatically reboot.
- Click the Start button and the recovery will get flashed on your device.
- Reboot the T-Mo S5 once you get the green pass box and hold the hardware key combination for recovery mode as soon as the device first-time boots. (Not doing this may result in your custom recovery image being overridden by the stock recovery which will mean you need to follow the guide all over again. The hardware button combination for recovery mode is Power + Home + Volume Up).
Now you can read up on how to root the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0 Marshmallow if you want to start installing custom ROMs that require root access or check out some of those awesome root apps that need the root permissions to run.