There are applications out there in the Google Play Store available for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet that would love to be on your device, but the current permissions allocated to the operating system do not allow them to run. We can change all of that by rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet. Rooting means we make ourselves the root user which is the person in total control over what is installed and what is uninstalled on the Android OS. It is a powerful position that most people love to be in, so let’s see how it is done.
Here is everything you need to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311 tablets when they are running on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat software updates by flashing Chainfire’s one-click rooting tool that he named CF-Auto-Root:
- You need to have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet that comes with the SM-T311 model number to use the rooting file in this guide. You can check the model number by opening the Apps > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- The CF-Auto-Root tool is Odin-based which means you can only get root using this tool on a Windows computer.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Chainfire had the KOT49H.T311XXUBNI2 firmware running on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311 when he developed the CF-Auto-Root file in this guide. You do not have to be running on the same firmware version as him. All you need is to be running Android 4.4.2 KitKat and have the correct model number (SM-T311), and the rooting works.
- You need to leave the new recovery image in a message posted on the CF-Auto-Root tool thread at XDA-Developers if the device is not booting after flashing the rooting file. It means the rooting file needs updating.
- You need to unlock the Developer Options menu and enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311.
- Install the Samsung USB Drivers on the Windows computer if your PC does not have then installed already.
- There are two versions of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet with the SM-T311 model number. Unfortunately, both of them come running on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat software updates, so it is hard to tell. The CF-Auto-Root version rooting file in this guide is for is the lt013gxx device name.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 8.0 SM-T311 RUNNING ON ANDROID 4.4.2 KITKAT SOFTWARE UPDATES
- Log into the Windows PC using an administrators account.
- Download the CF-Auto-Root tool to the computer and extract the file to the desktop.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311 into download mode and connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the Odin app that is on the desktop of the computer.
- Click the AP button and browse through to the desktop and select the MD5 rooting file to upload to Odin.
- Do not change any of the default options from Odin.
- Click the Start button and the rooting of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311 begins.
- Read the information that is scrolling down the screen of the tablet that has been programmed by Chainfire to show.
- Wait until the Odin app on the computer shows a green box with a pass message inside.
In conclusion, that is how to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311 tablets running on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat software updates using CF-Auto-Root.