Today, you can get hard drives with 2 TB of space. But somehow, whatever be the size, they run out of space quickly. When your hard drive is full or near to full, it shows in the performance of your system. So, how can your free up hard disk space? Here are some tips to free up hard disk space and improve the overall performance of your system.
Tips to Free Up Space
- Using Traditional Tools: One of the easiest ways to free up hard disk space in your computer is to go for a traditional tool like CleanMyPC. The tool can automatically remove junk files from your system and improve the performance. You can also find similar tools like Clean Uninstaller that remove junk files and other unwanted trash from your system and free more hard disk space for you to use.
- Disk Cleanup: Windows has an built-in tool called Disk Cleanup that can delete temporary files from your computer and provide you with extra hard disk space. Disk Cleanup also removes other unwanted files from your system. To run Disk Cleanup, you need to go to My Computer and from there select the hard drive you want to clean up. Now, right click on that hard drive and select the option “Properties.” Now select the option “Disk Cleanup.” You can select different types of files that you wish to delete from your system to free up hard disk space. You can also delete system files. For that, click on the button “Cleanup system files.” If you wish to remove system restore data, you need to click on the “More” options. Now, under “System restore and shadow copies” click on the “Cleanup” button. This will remove all the system restore points. So before doing it, make sure your computer is in a stable condition.
- Uninstalling Unwanted Programs: There could be few applications in your computer that you’re not using anymore. Search for such applications/programs and remove them to free up hard disk space. You can go to the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Now look for the programs you wish to remove. You can see the amount of space occupied by each of the programs. To remove the programs, right click on it and click on the option “Uninstall.” This will remove the program from your system.
- Cleaning Temporary Files: If you’re using different browsers like Firefox and Chrome, the amount of temporary files in your system will be huge. By removing these junk files from your system, you can easily free up hard disk space. It is better to use tools like CCCleanup to remove temporary files from your system.
- Remove Unwanted Files From Your System: People have the habit of saving unnecessary files in their system. You usually don’t check if it is of any use to you. If you wish to free up hard disk space, then search within your system for unwanted files/pictures/videos and remove them either to an external hard disk or to the Dropbox. In this way, you can save a lot of hard disk space.
It is important to maintain hard disk space for your system to perform well. The above options will enable you to free up hard disk space and improve the overall performance of your system. The more free space you have, the faster your system can work.