Samsung Galaxy S III explodes in girl’s pocket, leaving her leg badly burned

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 4.27.33 PM

This is really scary. We might not realize it, but the device that we carry around with us everyday could explode at anytime. It rarely happens, but it’s possible. And for one unlucky girl in Switzerland, her phone did just that.

An 18-year old girl’s Samsung Galaxy S III exploded while it was in her pants, leaving her with a very bad burn on her leg. Her coworker actually had to rip off her pants to prevent further injury. Just take a look at what the phone looked like after it exploded, and imagine that happening in your pocket. Ouch.

gs3

There’s also a photo of the poor girl’s leg, but it’s not necessary to show it here. Samsung Switzerland is currently investigating the incident and will be sending the phone to Korea for examination. Hopefully the company figures out what went wrong and prevents this from happening again in the future.

[via Android Beat]

Share this post

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

6 comments

  1. Seamus McSeamus

    [@AFPhy6]

    Sounds like the same battery my dad tricked me into sticking to my tongue when I was a kid. A nice little wake up that was!

    (Some of the things I have done as an adult don’t point to me having gotten any smarter.)

  2. AFPhy6

    Batteries of any type store an impressive amount of energy. When that energy is release rapidly, it can do a lot of damage.

    I don’t see this as being anything that Samsung can necessarily do anything about – lithium batteries store a lot of energy for their weight and size. If you short them out somehow, whether internally or with an external short circuit, you generate a lot of heat.

    LOL… I just remembered back to the old days … one day I had one of the classic Carbon-cell 9-Volt batteries (“transistor batteries”) with two topside terminals and the rectangular profile (about 1cm x 2cm x 5cm) in my pocket. Same pocket had some coins in it. Suddenly in the middle of the day I had a burning sensation and that ended up getting very hot and gave me a mild burn on the leg. Whew! Got that battery out of my pocket fast! After that, I always am sure to at least put tape over the terminals if I pocket any battery!

    I would not be surprised if a lithium technology cell of the same profile would have done a lot more damage.