Galaxy S4 exploded and burnt down house, says Hong Kong man

burned_house

A Honk Kong man by the name of Mr. Du will be counting his losses but at the same time thankful to be alive after his Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire and burned down his apartment… or so he says, anyway.

According to Mr. Du, he was playing a game on his cell phone when the incident happened. While playing the game, he plugged the phone into the charger as the battery level was becoming quite low but after continuing to play the game, the phone became extremely hot. This caused Mr. Du to throw the phone under the sofa which may not have been the best idea but then again who really expects their phone to spontaneously combust?

After being thrown under the sofa, the phone caught on fire. The fire spread rapidly and ended up scorching the entire apartment but luckily, Mr. Du and his wife were able to escape unhurt.

Mr. Du is claiming that Samsung is responsible for the incident since he says that he did not tamper with the device in any way. Investigations are underway to determine the truth and, if this is indeed true, Samsung will have some answering up to do.

This incident is quite worrying as one does not expect a device such as their cellphone to malfunction to this extent. Only investigations will be able to tell if this incident was a freak accident and if other S4 users have anything to worry about. One thing for sure though, is that I’m glad Mr. Du is safe and I hope he finds a place to say until he can get back on his feet after this bizarre incident.

[via Redmondpie]

Share this post

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

6 comments

  1. kevbo

    [@Ashraf] First, a phone should never catch fire if used as intended. Second, product liability law in the US heavily favors the end user, so there’s a good chance (if indeed this was caused by the phone) that Samsung would be held liable, in spite of any stupidity on the part of the end user. Actually, in the US, product liability can flow all the way up the product chain, from the store that sold it to the manufacturers of the product’s components. Thats one reason there are so many foolish and obvious – to most thinking people – warning instructions in a product manual.

    Remember the infamous $1,000,000 awarded to the lady who spilled a cup of McDonald’s coffee on her lap, resulting in burns to her thighs? Now we have warnings on every cup of coffee sold in the US that it contains hot liquid that may cause burns.

    [@Seamus McSeamus] I must be drowning in the same sea of cynicism you are.

    [@Briley Kenney] If I’m sitting on the couch using my phone while its charging, I’ll often put it under the couch if I get up so no one else in the house will step on it, sit on it, or trip over or pull out the cable.

  2. Seamus McSeamus

    Not wanting to doubt the guy’s story, but I’m pretty skeptical. It sounds like he has heard about the iPhone charger issues from a couple weeks ago, and thinks maybe an opportunity to cash in has presented itself. I shouldn’t be so cynical, but it’s the world we live in.