Merging files of different formats can be quite troublesome. Not only do you need to open each of them using different applications, you also need to make sure that you can properly merge them without messing up their original layout and appearance. Fortunately, there is this free web app that you can use to merge or combine your files regardless if they are formatted as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, etc. This web app is called “MergeFil.es”.
What is it and what does it do
MergeFil.es is a free online tool (web app) that you can use to merge multiple files of different formats into one consolidated file. Like, for example, you can merge a PDF and a text file to create a unified MS Word document. With MergeFil.es, there’s no download or software installation required. There’s also no need for you to register or create a user account. Just upload the files that you want into the web app’s online file merger, follow the given steps and wait until your merged file is ready to download. As of now, the said online tool can merge the following file types – PDF, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, Images, HTML files and TXT files. You can also download the merged file as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel or Audio (MP3) File.
- Simple, easy to use
- No download or software installation required
- No user registration or user log-in required
- Supports various file formats/file types – PDF, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, Images (JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.), HTML files and TXT files
- The merged file can be downloaded as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel or Audio (MP3) File
- You can change the order for placement of your merged files
- Supports file compression – compresses your merged file to reduce its file size
- Once you’ve already uploaded the files that you want to merge, you can no longer use the upload tool to add more files
- Once your merged file is created, you can no longer change it so if ever you make a mistake, you’ll need to start all over again
- Needs a “Preview” option
- The website connection isn’t encrypted so you might want to think twice before uploading files that contains any type of sensitive information (ex. contact details, personal info, etc.)
When I tried using MergeFil.es to merge or combine multiple files of different formats, it basically did what it was supposed to do except for a few drawbacks. For some reason, when I tried it on Chrome, it failed to recognize the MS Word (.doc and.docx) files that I was trying to upload but the problem did not occur when I tried to upload the same files on other browsers (ex. Firefox, Chrome for Mobile). Anyhow, I had no problems uploading the other file formats. Just keep in mind that the web app currently does not support RTF files, ODT files and ePubs. It only supports PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint,.txt,.html and images.
When using MergeFil.es, all you need is to follow these four easy steps and your merged file will be ready in no time:
- Select and upload the files that you want to merge
- Set the order or placement of the files according to your own preference
- Enable or disable the file compression option (this option allows you to compress your merged file to shrink its size)
- Wait until your merged file is ready then you may download it as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel or MP3 (audio) file
To sum it up, I can say that MergeFil.es is a very convenient tool that can help you merge or combine your files even though they are saved in different formats. It’s also web-based so you don’t need to download or install any special application or software. There is also no need for you to create a user account or register.
Even so, I do think that providing an option where users can log-in can help a lot especially when it comes to safeguarding the user’s privacy. I also noticed that the connection established by the said web app isn’t encrypted so you might as well think before you decide to upload and merge files that contains any type of sensitive information like your personal info, contact details, etc.
Conclusion and download link
I like MergeFil.es because it’s very accessible and convenient to use. It may have a couple of drawbacks, such as it’s non-encrypted connection, but if you are just looking for a simple online tool that you can use to merge your book excerpts, song lyrics and online articles, then this web app is definitely worth checking out.
Version reviewed: N/A
Requires: IE10+, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Opera on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, Mac OS X, and Linux