The Google Nexus 7 1012 variant is finding a new over the air update to bolster the OS to a fresh version of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop just like some of the other devices in the Nexus range. The new build number for this one is LMY47V. Check how to root and install a custom recovery image after updating to the new version of Lollipop after the drop.
Only use this guide if you have the 2012 variant of the Nexus 7 tablet. They make the Nexus 7 for multiple years.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You are voiding the Nexus warranty by following this guide.
- You should allow USB Debugging permissions by heading to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging. The settings will remain on when you leave.
- Install the Google USB Drivers on your Windows PC and then reboot the PC for those drivers to start working. Bookmark this page so you can find it again easily from the browser of your choice.
HOW TO ROOT GOOGLE NEXUS 7 2012 ON LMY47V ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows PC by following the guide on the link and then come back here. You don’t need to set it up again if you already have it.
- Download the SuperSU 2.46 zip file to the desktop on the computer.
- Plug the Nexus 7 into the computer with the USB cable and transfer the file over to the root of the SD card.
- Download CWM 184.108.40.206 to the desktop. transfer the CWM file to where Fastboot.exe was (c:\adb usually)
– now you can easily execute the commands from the command prompt later.
- Completely power down the Nexus 7 2012 and reboot to fastboot mode. Once shut down, hold the Volume Down + Power keys in until the text on the display appears. Now you are in fastboot/bootlaoder mode.
- From the Fastboot folder, open the command prompt windows by right-clicking and holding down SHift on a blank white space within the folder, then selecting to open the command windows from the menu.
- Type the first command: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-grouper.img
- Select recovery from the men uand your device will now enter recovery mode.
- From in recovery, choose to flash the zip from SD card, browse the SD card for the SuperSU and confirm the installation.
- Once done, head back to the main recovery menu and select to reboot the system now.