Rooting the Google Nexus 5X smartphone running on the Android N Developer Preview is as easy as installing a custom recovery and then installing the new version of SuperSU from the recovery menu. Once done correctly, the custom recovery and root combination will allow 5X users to start installing the apps that require root access to run, as well as install aftermarket firmware on the device. You will find many custom ROMs available for this smartphone, and you can expect many of those ROMs to be created by some of the most popular custom ROM developers in the world. Head over to the XDA-Developers forum to check out some of the ROMs that are available for your Google Nexus 5X smartphone.
Here is everything you need to root Google Nexus 5X smartphones running on the Android N Developer Preview using TWRP Recovery and the updated version of the SuperSU application:
- The following guide is made for the Google Nexus 5X smartphone running the Android N Developer Preview that comes with the NPD35K build number. We do not recommend following this guide with any other device or build number.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the Developer Options menu on the Google Nexus 5X smartphone by tapping on the Settings > About Device and then tapping the Build Number 7 or 8 times until you get the message popping up on the display that you are now using the Google Nexus 5X smartphone as a developer.
- Enter the Developer Options menu now by tapping on the Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode and then leave the Developer Options menu and it will remember your preferences.
HOW TO ROOT GOOGLE NEXUS 5X RUNNING ANDROID N NPD35K DEVELOPER PREVIEW
- Download the updated version of SuperSU 2.71 from here.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on the Windows computer and then come back and continue with this guide.
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the Nexus 5X on Android N from here.
- Extract the TWRP file and shift the contents of the folder over to the same folder as your ADB, so you have everything in the one directory.
- Connect the Google Nexus 5X smartphone to the computer with the USB cable that you usually use to charge the battery.
- Copy the SuperSU zip file over to the topmost folder on the internal storage SD card.
- Open the folder where you have ADB and TWRP and hold the Shift key and right-click where there is nothing but the white background, and it should bring up a new menu.
- Choose to open a new command window from that menu.
- Type the command “adb reboot bootloader” to get your Google Nexus 5X smartphone into the bootloader mode.
- Type the command “fastboot flash recovery twrp-184.108.40.206-bullhead.img” to flash the new custom recovery.
- Type the command “fastboot reboot” and then hold the Google Nexus 5X hardware button combination for the recovery mode so your smartphone boots directly to the custom recovery mode during the first-time booting phase.
- Tap on the Install button from the main TWRP menu and follow the instructions to browse the SD card.
- Choose the reboot system option from the main Recovery menu.
In conclusion, that is how to root Google Nexus 5X smartphones running on the Android N Developer Preview with the NPD35K build numbers.