Rooting the Huawei P9 Lite smartphone is going to make you the root user which officially puts you in control. The root user to Linux and Android is the same as the administrator to Windows operating systems. The root user can install anything they want without any restrictions. Additionally, the root user can uninstall specific details that they might not want such as system apps.
Here is everything you need to root Huawei P9 Lite smartphones when they are running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow software updates:
- You need to install a custom recovery on the Huawei P9 Lite smartphone if you are to root it by using our guide below.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You should backup the data before rooting the device just in case you want to apply a hard reset and return the device to the state that it was in before you started. You can do that now from within the custom recovery image, i.e., when you are in the custom recovery mode and take the NANDroid Backup. You will do not have any access to things like Titanium Backup until you complete this guide and become the root user. Still, one trick you might like is taking the NANDroid Backup option from the custom recovery and then installing the NANDroid Manager app once you complete this guide. Since you will be the root user, then it runs and allows you to use to restore the NANDroid with more options.
HOW TO ROOT HUAWEI P9 LITE RUNNING ON ANDROID 6.0 MARSHMALLOW SOFTWARE UPDATES
- Download the SuperSU application on the computer and have it on the desktop without unzipping the file.
- Connect the Huawei P9 Lite smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the SuperSU zip file (still zipped) to the internal storage SD card folder on the computer available for the P9 Lite smartphone.
- Unplug the P9 handset from the computer once you know you have it on the internal SD card.
- Boot the Huawei P9 Lite smartphone into the recovery mode and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- Tap on the Backup button from the recovery menu and then follow the steps to take the NANDroid Backup so your data can be restored later.
- Select the Install option from the main Recovery menu and then follow the on-screen guidelines to browse the SD card and upload the SuperSU zip file from your storage.
- Confirm you wish to install the SuperSU by swiping on the display where it says to do so in the text.
- Choose the Reboot option, followed by “System” and the Huawei P9 Lite smartphone reboots back into the normal mode.
In conclusion, that is how to root Huawei P9 Lite smartphones when running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow software updates by flashing a version of Chainfire’s SuperSU. You find that the version of SuperSU for Marshmallow updates is the systemless root version which means it no longer requires any modification of the /system partition. The systemless root version of SuperSU gives people a better rooting experience since it is much cleaner. Moreover, you do not have to flash a stock ROM to unroot anymore, and it can be done just by applying a factory reset instead.