The fourth generation Motorola Moto G smartphone is now available. If you wanted to know if a custom recovery was available for installing custom ROMs, kernels and getting root access with the SuperSU app the answer is yes. Team Win’s TWRP is available to install on the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone, the best custom recovery image to install in the world. There are many benefits of installing TWRP these days if you want to have a smooth ride with your custom ROM installations because sometimes you can come across ROMs that request you have TWRP and not any of the other custom recoveries. Further, it’s rare that a ROM ever requests a custom recovery image be installed that is not named TWRP so you can’t go wrong once you have it.
Here is what you need to flash TWRP Recovery on Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphones so you can begin installing any of the custom ROMs or kernels that you want to try when they become available or get control of the root user account by flashing Chainfire’s SuperSU:
- You need to unlock the bootloader on the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone before you can follow this guide for installing the custom recovery image on the device.
- You need to have a computer that runs on a version of the Windows operating system if you are going to use this guide because the ADB in this post is made for Windows only and does not run on any of the other operating systems.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You need to make sure that you have the Developer Options unlocked on the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone and the USB Debugging Mode is enabled so the Android software lets you make the changes to it that are required for the custom recovery image to be installed.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON MOTOROLA MOTO G4 PLAY
- Set up the ADB for Windows that you need on the computer and then continue with this guide when that is complete.
- Install the ADB Driver on the computer so that your ADB commands can execute.
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone and extract the file to the Downloads folder.
- Copy the contents of the TWRP file in the Downloads folder to the same folder as the ADB, so you have everything available in the one directory.
- Connect the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click on the background of the ADB folder and choose to “open a command window here” from the menu.
- Type the command “adb reboot bootloader” to get the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone into the bootloader mode.
- Type the command “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img” to flash the TWRP image on the smartphone so that it has the custom recovery installed.
- Type the command “adb reboot” to reboot the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone back into the normal mode how you typically use the device and then hold down the hardware key combination to Recovery Mode so that it first-time boots into the custom recovery to prevent the stock recovery from wiping over your work.
In conclusion, that is how to install TWRP Recovery on Motorola Moto G4 Play. The custom recovery image is all you need to have installed before you can start installing custom ROMs from the XDA-Developers web forum and checking out some custom kernels if you prefer them too. Those who wanted to start installing any of the root applications can now find out what is required to root the Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone running on the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow software updates.