Finding a good malware remover is hard. However, finding a good one that you don’t have to install is nearly impossible. Norman Malware Cleaner promises to be that product. The download is rather large, but it is a small price to pay for a program that can get around viruses that don’t let you install things.
WHAT IS IT AND WHAT DOES IT DO
Norman Malware Cleaner is a program used to remove viruses and other threats from your computer. The program is not an antivirus system and in no way protects you from getting a virus. However, if one is to find a way onto your computer, this program can help you remove it. Since it does not have to be installed, it is great to use against viruses and threats that may be preventing you from installing other virus removers.
- No installation required
- Can be run in safe mode
- Perfect for removing viruses that prevent programs from being installed. Thus, it is great for people already infected by a virus or other threats.
- Three different scan modes: Quick, Full and Custom
- Can find rootkits, fakeAV software, worms, viruses, adware, and other malware
- Offers a quarantine module
- Has command line functions to make it easier to scan across several machines (perfect for businesses)
- Said to use advanced anti-rootkit technology
- Such a large program, at over 200MB
- Because it is not installed, it takes a little bit longer than other programs to boot
- Scans use a lot of your computer’s resources. Makes it difficult to do other things while scanning (goes double for deep scans).
- Does not have active protection — does not stop infection of viruses or malware, just helps remove them after an infection
Before we get into a discussion about this program, let’s talk about downloading it first. The link at the bottom of the page is for Softpedia. If you do not like using Softpedia for whatever reason, be sure to check for the latest version of this software. Some sites, like CNET, are still offering the older version of the software. You will know if it’s the old version, because the size is only about 35MB (new version is 214MB).
Now, let’s get into the features of the program. The best thing about this program is the fact that it is portable…kind of. A case could be made that it is not very portable, because it is so large. However, the fact remains that you do not have to install this program to run it. That is good, because it means that the program can be run from safe mode, and it can be run even on a computer that is infected with a program that prevents you from installing other programs.
The program can be used to remove all types of malware. This does include, but is not limited to: Rootkits, viruses, FakeAV software and worms. Like other removal programs, Norman Malware Cleaner does offer a quarantine module. Thus, if something is not running right after being quarantined, you can choose to restore it.
There are three different scan modes: Quick, Full and Custom. I tried both quick and full. The quick scan took about 5 minutes to complete, and the full scan took about 45 minutes. However, I guess it really depends on how much stuff you have on your computer. I will say this: Don’t expect to do much during the scans. I noticed a lot of lag while the program was running, which leads me to believe that it is pretty resource hungry. Of course, that could be one of the reasons why it completes its scans so quickly.
CONCLUSION AND DOWNLOAD LINK
If you are looking for a virus remover that you don’t have to install, Norman Malware Cleaner is a good option. It may not be the best remover out there, but the fact that it does not have to be installed makes it a great find in my book. I have come across viruses before that don’t let you install things, and they can be a pain. Norman Malware Cleaner is a good way around this. This is one of those you want to have in your toolbox in case of a disaster.
Version reviewed: 2.07.04
Supported OS: Windows NT/ 98 / Me /2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista
Download size: 214MB
VirusTotal malware scan results: File too large to scan
Is it portable? Yes
Download page for Norman Malware Cleaner