Windows XP | Tech Support | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

    

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Windows XP
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 6, 2010
4:20 PM
PCbasics
King of Freebies
Forum Posts: 614
Member Since:
May 4, 2010
Offline
1
0

Anyone know about this popup that say “remind me_xp” that pops up everytime i restart my computer? then i have two choices, “send error report” or “don’t send” I have been clicking don’t send for about a year (yes a year) and still have not found the solution. i’v checked some websites and they sugest registry repair, but that was no help…i tried. any suggestionsConfused

 

*I have a windows XP Home edition with sp3 installed.

I Love Freebies
May 6, 2010
4:47 PM
Adrian
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 546
Member Since:
September 21, 2009
Offline
2
0

Can you take a screenshot of the error popup and post it here (e.g. via Photobucket)?

I can try to help.

May 7, 2010
2:14 PM
PCbasics
King of Freebies
Forum Posts: 614
Member Since:
May 4, 2010
Offline
3
0

Adrian said:

Can you take a screenshot of the error popup and post it here (e.g. via Photobucket)?

I can try to help.


 

i’ll try to get one as soon as i can…..

I Love Freebies
May 7, 2010
5:39 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
4
0

Do you know where it wants to send the error report?

May 7, 2010
5:47 PM
Adrian
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 546
Member Since:
September 21, 2009
Offline
5
0

It’s should have been the standard Windows “send error” report – which means it would send the report to MS.

However, if there was a virus on his machine… It would certainly not get sent to MS! Frown

May 7, 2010
5:50 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
6
0

@Adrian – That’s why I was asking. Trying to find out whether it looked like the standard Microsoft error report request or not.

May 7, 2010
6:00 PM
Adrian
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 546
Member Since:
September 21, 2009
Offline
7
0

He still hasn’t uploaded a screenshot. How are we supposed  to know? Yell

May 8, 2010
2:59 PM
PCbasics
King of Freebies
Forum Posts: 614
Member Since:
May 4, 2010
Offline

Adrian said:

He still hasn’t uploaded a screenshot. How are we supposed  to know? Yell


 
Error

 

*Sorry about the wait, i couldn’t find it anywhere so i had to do it myself.

 

 

 

I Love Freebies
May 8, 2010
3:20 PM
Joji
Guest
9
0

OOOooohh… major seirous dot.Tech conversation eh? “RemindXP.exe has encountered a problem”… I never got such thing before, but I bet one of your system32 files or something is probably corrupted… it’s just a guess alright?

 

Hmmm… whenever I get such problem I just run Ccleaner to get rid any crap on my computer.

 

~Joji~

May 8, 2010
5:04 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
10
0

PCbasics said:

Error
 

 

*Sorry about the wait, i couldn’t find it anywhere so i had to do it myself.


 

That is not a Microsoft product.  Here’s what it is:

remind_xp.exe is a process belonging to the SoftThinks CD Creator CD/DVD
Writer and serves as a reminder to register for full product support.
This is a non-essential process.

So press Win+R at the same time.  Into the box that appears, type “msconfig” without quotes. Click on the tab that’s labeled Startup.  Scroll down unitl you find it-you may have to look in the “command” column to find it.  Uncheck it, and click restart your computer.  When you restart, uncheck the “Show me this message” box.

Literally what you just did was stop it from starting with the computer.

You can also do this with things like Carbonite, Google Desktop, Google Update, or other programs you don’t use.

Oh, the site that was :(
May 9, 2010
4:43 PM
Adrian
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 546
Member Since:
September 21, 2009
Offline
11
0

Many programs such as CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller can also remove items from the startup list, and are easier to use. Smile

May 9, 2010
8:45 PM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786
Member Since:
May 28, 2009
Offline
12
0

The best way I’ve found to fix XP issues is something Ashraf first mentioned in a thread somewhere: Upgrade to Windows 7.

It worked great for me! LaughLaughLaugh

                       wheezertech.forumotion.com
May 9, 2010
9:01 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
13
0

Wheezer said:

The best way I’ve found to fix XP issues is something Ashraf first mentioned in a thread somewhere: Upgrade to Windows 7.

It worked great for me! LaughLaughLaugh


 

Except this isn’t Windows XP that’s the issue.  We’ve figured that much out…

Oh, the site that was :(
May 10, 2010
1:41 PM
PCbasics
King of Freebies
Forum Posts: 614
Member Since:
May 4, 2010
Offline
14
0

Locutus said:

PCbasics said:

Error

 

*Sorry about the wait, i couldn’t find it anywhere so i had to do it myself.


 

That is not a Microsoft product.  Here’s what it is:

remind_xp.exe is a process belonging to the SoftThinks CD Creator CD/DVD

Writer and serves as a reminder to register for full product support.

This is a non-essential process.

So press Win+R at the same time.  Into the box that appears, type “msconfig” without quotes. Click on the tab that’s labeled Startup.  Scroll down unitl you find it-you may have to look in the “command” column to find it.  Uncheck it, and click restart your computer.  When you restart, uncheck the “Show me this message” box.

Literally what you just did was stop it from starting with the computer.

You can also do this with things like Carbonite, Google Desktop, Google Update, or other programs you don’t use.


 

i’m going to try this to see if it works!

I Love Freebies
May 10, 2010
3:19 PM
PCbasics
King of Freebies
Forum Posts: 614
Member Since:
May 4, 2010
Offline
15
0

@Locutus

Thank you VERY much! worked perfectly! now i dont have like 20 popups every time i started up my computer! Cool


 

I Love Freebies
May 10, 2010
4:54 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
16
0

PCbasics said:

@Locutus

Thank you VERY much! worked perfectly! now i dont have like 20 popups every time i started up my computer! Cool


 

There are a lot of sites out there to tell you what things are if you want to dive deeper into cleaning your Startup list.  Just google the EXE file.  (Things like iTunesHelper and other such things are obvious, but what about ksdjfklasdjfkadsjflksadjf;lksad.exe?)

Remember if something goes wrong there’s always safe mode.

Oh, the site that was :(
May 11, 2010
5:41 PM
yourpalal
Inner Peace
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 647
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
Offline
17
0

FYI:

“Support is ending for some versions of Windows

* Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010.

* Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010.*

 If you’re running one of these versions after support ends, you won’t get security updates for Windows.”

LINK:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/end-support-windows-xp-sp2-windows-vista-without-service-packs?os=vista

Life is just a phase you're going through…you'll get over it.
May 11, 2010
5:49 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
18
0

Locutus said:

PCbasics said:

@Locutus

Thank you VERY much! worked perfectly! now i dont have like 20 popups every time i started up my computer! Cool


 
There are a lot of sites out there to tell you what things are if you want to dive deeper into cleaning your Startup list.  Just google the EXE file.  (Things like iTunesHelper and other such things are obvious, but what about ksdjfklasdjfkadsjflksadjf;lksad.exe?)

Remember if something goes wrong there’s always safe mode.


 

Also get AnVir task manager, it has a startup manager, and also tells you the path of files, so yo u can see where and what it is.

May 11, 2010
5:59 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
19
0

sean said:

 

Also get AnVir task manager, it has a startup manager, and also tells you the path of files, so yo u can see where and what it is.


 

So does MSCONFIG… :D

The “Command” is the program to start, the “Location” is where it is – in the registry, or in Startup.

Oh, the site that was :(
May 11, 2010
6:57 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
20
0

Locutus said:

sean said:

 

Also get AnVir task manager, it has a startup manager, and also tells you the path of files, so you can see where and what it is.


 
So does MSCONFIG… :D

The “Command” is the program to start, the “Location” is where it is – in the registry, or in Startup.


 

Yea, but MSCONFIG makes it easy to completely stuff up your computer. AnVir is a little less likely to be able to do that

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
35 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Posts: 16629

Newest Members: MonicaSocha, adityamathurji, johnsmithh43, terryWheel, EdwardAdamczyk, liobumn

Administrators: Ashraf: 1799, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270

Comments