The Android operating system usually comes complete with a different bootable partition away from the operating system called recovery mode. Appropriately named, the recovery mode lets people recover a device. The handy separate bootable partition means that it does not matter what somebody manages to mess up on the operating system because it does not interfere with the recovery partition. The recovery mode that automatically comes with a mobile device is often referred to as the stock recovery mode and people use this mode for factory resetting and applying updates.
Third-party developers have created what is known as a custom recovery to help people flash custom firmware since the stock recovery does not allow people to flash anything that is not considered made by Android. A custom recovery is also commonly used for gaining the rooting rights over the operating system and making people the root user. Rooted users have greater control over the OS and can install more apps as well as uninstall the existing apps put on the system partition by the manufacturer and phone carrier networks too.
Here is everything that you need to flash TWRP Recovery on Huawei Honor 5C smartphones so you can do things like flash custom firmware and flash SuperSU for those rooting permissions:
- You must have the bootloader on the Huawei Honor 5C smartphone unlocked before following this guide to flash a custom recovery on the device.
- You need to have a computer that is running on a version of the Windows operating system to use this guide. The version of ADB that we are using in this guide is made for the Windows OS only and doesn’t to run from other operating systems like Mac or Linux.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You need to unlock the Developer options menu on the Huawei Honor 5C smartphone and then turn on the USB debugging mode before connecting the phone to the computer in the guide. The USB Debugging Mode allows for you to make changes to the Android software which is a requirement for swapping the recoveries over.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON HUAWEI HONOR 5C
- Download the TWRP for Nemo file directly to the computer.
- Learn everything that is involved in setting up ADB on the Windows computer and then come back to this guide to complete the remaining steps below.
- Download and install the Universal Windows ADB Driver on the computer so that the ADB commands can be executed smoothly.
- Connect the Huawei Honor 5C handset to the computer with the USB cable that is used for charging the battery.
- Open the Downloads folder on the computer and find the TWRP file inside. (The TWRP is in the Downloads folder because it is the default download location on Windows operating system unless you have changed it. You need to open the default downloads folder to find the TWRP if you have changed your preferences in Windows settings).
- Copy the TWRP file over to the same folder as the ADB and extract the TWRP file once it is inside so everything falls out into the ADB folder.
- With the ADB and TWRP folder open, hold down the Shift key and right-click the background of the folder where there are no files.
- Choose to open a new command window here from the menu.
- Type the command: “adb reboot bootloader” and it gets the Huawei Honor 5C into the bootloader mode.
- Type the command: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” to have the custom recovery flashed on the Honor 5C smartphone.
- Type the command: “fastboot reboot” and then as soon as the Honor 5C reboots, hold down the button combination for the recovery mode so that it first-time boots into the custom recovery that you just installed.
In conclusion, that is how to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Honor 5C smartphones by using some ADB commands from a Windows computer. By first-time booting the device into the recovery after applying the last command, you are then stopping the stock recovery from wiping over the custom recovery which sometimes happens. If you did not boot into the recovery and found that the stock recovery is still there, then that is probably why. Now you can find out everything there is to know for rooting the Huawei Honor 5C running on Android 6.0 Marshmallow software updates using Chainfire’s SuperSU from the custom recovery that you just installed.