Installing the TWRP on the Huawei Honor 8 is the best custom recovery image you can get. It comes with the most features out of all the custom recovery images and is the clear leader of the pack. What’s more, the TWRP is compatible with the most amount of custom ROMs if you are thinking about swapping over that stock version of Android for a custom ROM made by a third-party developer. The TWRP is also useful for flashing the SuperSU by Chainfire which is what you need to root devices from a custom recovery.
Here is what you need to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Honor 8 smartphones so you can flash SuperSU from the custom recovery partition or start installing any custom ROMs that are made for the device:
- You need to have the Huawei Honor 8’s bootloader unlocked before you can follow this guide to have a custom recovery image installed.
- You need a computer to run the Android Debug Bridge and that computer needs to be running on a version of the Windows operating system.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make sure that the USB Debugging Mode is enabled from the Developer Options menu on the Huawei Honor 8 smartphone before getting started with this guide or else you cannot get the Android software to accept the changes that are being made to it in order for the custom recovery image to get installed.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON HUAWEI HONOR 8 SMARTPHONES
- Follow our step-by-step guide that demonstrates how to setup ADB on Windows and then come back and continue with this guide when you are done.
- Install the ADB Driver on the computer.
- Download the TWRP image for the Huawei Honor 8 handset on the computer and then open up the Downloads folder to find the TWRP file.
- Connect the Huawei Honor 8 smartphone to the computer with its USB cable.
- Extract the TWRP file to the Downloads folder and then copy everything from the TWRP file over to the same folder as the ADB that you set up earlier so that everything is available from the one directory.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click the white background of the ADB and TWRP folder and choose to open a command window here from the menu.
- Type the command “adb reboot bootloader” to get the Honor 8 handset into the bootloader mode.
- Type the command “fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-frd-modaco-rc1.img” to have the custom recovery image installed on the Honor 8 device.
- Type the command “adb reboot” to reboot the phone back into normal mode. As soon as it reboots, hold down the hardware key combination so that Honor 8 would first boot into Recovery Mode.
That is everything you need to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Honor 8 smartphones using the Android Debug Bridge program on a computer that is running on a version of Windows. By first-time booting the system into Recovery partition, you are then stopping the stock recovery from overriding the work you just did to install the custom recovery. Thus, the custom recovery image should always be on the device now without any issues. Now, you can find out what is required for rooting the Huawei Honor 8 smartphone running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow software updates. That’s if you want to have the full write permissions over the root directory.