The following is a description of WISE-FTP 6, as per the developer:
WISE-FTP’s basic features include:
- Ability to connect to any FTP server.
- Ability to move or copy files or directories from your local system to the remote server and vice versa.
- Saving connection settings, so that frequently used FTP servers are accessible with just one mouse click.
In addition to this basic functionality, WISE-FTP provides many powerful functions you need for your everyday work. These are, for example:
- A task planner for time-controlled, automated transfer operations.
- Windows Explorer integration enables you to establish connections via Windows Explorer.
- Secure authentification and file transfer through STFP or the SSL/TLS protocol.
- Multiple connections to one or more remote servers and transfer of files from one remote server to one or more other remote servers in the background!
- Macro recorder for recording actions and repeating them as many times as desired.
- Optional encryption (Rijndael 128, 192, and 256 Bits, BlowFish, TripleDES, as well as PGP) and compression of files before or after transfer for improved security and speed.
- Synchronizing contents of directories on your local and remote system.
- Integrated HTML editor allows files to be edited directly on the remote server.
- Quick view of files using the integrated file viewer or the designated Windows application.
- User-defined hot keys for various program actions.
- Ability to move files and directories directly between remote servers – without first downloading them to your local system.
- Ability to save transfer tasks so that periodic transfers can be re-loaded at a later point in time.
- Ability to perform a file search on the remote system.
- Creating and organizing favorites.
- Upload/download of files using a mask.
- Configurable sounds for various program actions.
- Numerous other program functions described in this document.
Back when I started building websites (way back in the days when people still used Geocities and Homestead) WS_FTP was my first ever FTP client. I have since then moved on, dabbing with other clients such as CuteFTP and now finally settling on open-source FileZilla. Back in the day WS_FTP was the king of the block, primarily due to the fact there weren’t very many viable FTP client options. Today, however, FTP clients are a dime a dozen. So, then, the question is: Among this large number of software one can pick, why would one want WISE-FTP? I can’t see any glaring reason why.
Don’t get me wrong. WISE-FTP is not bad; it is a good FTP client, as attested by the features list shown above. It has all the features most anyone needs to manage a website/server through FTP. The issue, rather, is in a world of excellent freeware FTP clients, why would one want to shell out $49.95 for WISE-FTP? Of course WISE-FTP is being offered here as a freebie, so my point about price is moot for the time being. However, the question of why-WISE-over-freeware still stands.
If you want WISE-FTP, feel free to grab it. As I said, it is a good FTP client. Personally, however, I am sticking to FileZilla and I recommend you do the same; FileZilla is an excellent and open-source FTP client that is always freely available — even as a portable version.
Update: FileZilla may not be the best option for FTP client. It is an excellent FTP client, yes, but the developers refuse to patch a feature that stores passwords in a plain-text XML file. I am now in the market for another FTP client and will likely pick another freeware, WinSCP. Feel free to suggest ones you have had a good experience with.
WISE-FTP 6 is being given away in a promotion run by PC-Welt. There is no information on if it is time limited or if you can install/reinstall at a later date if you wish. So grab this while you can, if you want it. The program is in English even though this is a German promotion.
To get WISE-FTP 6 for free, follow these simple directions:
Version being given out for free: v6.1.5
Free updates and technical support: Unknown – probably not
Supported OS: Windows 98 and higher
Download size: 8.9 MB
- Download and install WISE-FTP 6.
- After installation, run WISE-FTP 6.
- When you run WISE-FTP 6 for the first time, you will be prompted to activate it. Activating it is very easy. First you need to enter your e-mail address:
Take note you are welcome to enter more than your e-mail address but are not required to. If you decide to just enter your e-mail address and not your first/last names, you will be prompted, asking to make sure you want to continue without entering your names:
- After you enter your e-mail address and click Next >> (and get past the name prompts, if applicable), at the next screen you need to click you need to click the Request Activation Key button:
After clicking the button wait a few seconds until you get a confirmation message:
- Now check the inbox of the e-mail address you entered earlier. Look for an e-mail from AceBIT GmbH firstname.lastname@example.org with subject of Activation Key: WISE-FTP. In the e-mail you will find your activation key:
Copy the activation key. Take note to not copy the quotations around the activation key — they aren’t part of it.
- Go back to WISE-FTP, enter/paste the activation key, and click Next >>:
If done properly you will be shown a success message:
If you have trouble getting WISE-FTP 6 for free, post below and other dotTechies or I will try to help.