Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 will help you to get into the heart of your device and exploit the power that has been hiding under the shroud of ‘being unrooted’ (Wow! That sounds cool. ;) ). You will be able to handle most of those advanced tasks on your device like firewalling the applications on your device, backing up your device, etc, with relative simplicity once you get your device rooted.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 using the official stock recovery that comes with your device. This guide is reportedly applicable to all Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 running on Android 4.0 (ICS). This has been tested working on P6800 ICS XXLQ1, but it should also be able to work with other ICS firmwares.
Before We Begin
Before getting started with the procedures, be ready with the following:
- Download Root_SuperSU.0.96.Only-signed.zip to your computer. Do not extract this file. Place this file in the any preferred directory of your phone’s storage.
- Samsung USB drivers for Windows, if you are running Windows, or the drivers for Mac or Linux if you are running those. Install the drivers if you haven’t installed them already.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Follow the steps below to root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Official Stock Recovery:
- Turn off the device.
- Boot into Download Mode by keeping the ‘Volume Down’ button pressed while pressing the ‘Power’ button (Volume Down + Power).
- Use the volume buttons to get to apply update from external storage option in the recovery menu.
- Press the Power button to select the option.
- Now, browse to the location where you had placed the file Root_SuperSU.0.96.Only-signed.zip.
- Highlight Root_SuperSU.0.96.Only-signed.zip using the volume buttons. Press Power button to select.
- Wait for the rooting process to finish.
- Once its done with, go back to the main menu (using the ../ option ~ twice).
- Select reboot system now.
- Congrats! You have now successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7!